Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Sorting Games (buttons)

Now that I've made lots of books for my son & his reading is on track, I have time to try to develop his maths skills. I recently came across a website for teaching maths to kindergarten age kids. It's informative and has simple activities that I can do with my son at home.
I've only read the bits on sorting, pattern games, measurement, as well as the "how to teach" bit. There are lots more that sound interesting & useful so I've bookmarked the page:

This is the sorting game my son played: sorting buttons. There are many ways to sort: by colour, by number of holes, by hole/no hole, shiny/matt. Amazingly it kept him occupied for almost half an hour.

I tried playing the sorting game with him using plastic fishes from his fishing game but it wasnt as effective. I'm not sure why. Perhaps he was already tired or it was too distracting with its loud colours or that I had attempted to play it in a different way (fishing with a rod) before switching to sorting.
I'll next try to dig out some old stamps and play the sorting game using those, as suggested on the website.

No comments:

Post a Comment