Saturday, September 12, 2009

Self confidence

When tasked with something he's unsure of, he'll say "I dont know". He doesn't give it a try. He's afraid of being wrong.

Last night, I was looking through my homemade word family list & craft activities I downloaded from the internet & he was interested in looking too. So I tested the word family list out on him impromptu. He could read most words on the first few sheets. Then it came to the word "hen" which he did read out. But he mistook it for "hand" and pointed to the palm of his hand. My helper laughed and pointed out his error. Oooo! The look on his face changed. He was upset. I didn't console him, but I did explain the difference between "hen" and "hand". My helper was trying to console him. Quite quickly, it progressed to silent tears & then crying out loud!

Today, his music teacher played the "Dont Give Up" song which says to try again. It's something I really want to inculcate in my son. I believe that if he can overcome that fear of being wrong or at least not always seek praise for getting the right answer or to be brave enough to try again, he will build up resilience. Resilience will take him far, help him survive in this world & is even more important for him given his disabilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment