Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Montessori Pink Series - Ending Consonant

Homemade Ending Consonant Activity

I had introduced the ending consonant phonic activity to my son a few weeks ago. It is part of the Montessori method of teaching to read.


Introducing it
I introduced it slowly, maybe in the first 2 weeks, it was just once a week, then in the following week 2 times in the week etc. Last week I think I brought it out 3 times.


Creating the sheets
- I used powerpoint, inserting relevant photos obtained from websites like http://www.corbis.com/ or http://www.fotosearch.com/.
- Having learnt from my earlier mistake with the matching word & picture cards, this time I started off making only 4 pages to test if he accepted the way it was presented.


Designing the sheets
- I was careful in choosing the words so that the ending consonant is very different for each word presented. For e.g. I avoid placing words ending with b, p, d in one page.
- I used large print (size 88) as I think he prefers that.
- I was also careful in choosing a font that doesnt use this letter "a" font, but instead using the letter 'a' font in the word 'bag' in the photo above. This is because he likes to use his finger to trace the letter, the way you do in sandpaper alphabets.

- I placed only 3 words on a page because this is a new skill for him to learn and I didnt want him to discourage him so early on. I can gauge his comfort level by asking if he wants an additional sheet when he completes the first sheet.


Filling in the blanks
The initial plan was to use the small moveable alphabets (SMA) I had made. He did use them for the first few times we did the activity. But I changed & used commercially bought plastic magnetic alphabets for the last 2 times we did this activity.
For kids without a motor disability, this can be varied by having them write in the missing alphabet (if they've mastered writing the alphabet).


The results?

Initially, he needed a lot of help. I would talk very briefly about the photos, then say the word, then emphasise the phonic sound slowly for him to catch it. He wasnt sure what I wanted from him. He'd then read out the letter on the sheet, which I allowed. Then I brought his attention back to what I wanted him to do. I'd say the word again, then breakdown the phonic sounds slowly & pointing to the alphabet as I said the phonic sound. Then I'd point out that there's a missing letter & ask him what he thinks it should be.

I did change the sheets ocassionally to keep it interesting, so as not to make it seem like a drill.

Yesterday, he surprised me. Papa was in the room when we played it. I just had to say the word once, with emphasis on the last sound. He picked up & placed the correct alphabets! On top of that, he then wanted to continue with the second sheet. He was slight slower with the second sheet but still noticeably better than a few weeks prior.

No comments:

Post a Comment