Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Lessons from raindrops

He noticed it was raining. He said it sounded funny. So we drew open the curtains and took a look. After a few moments of staring at the rain, I took the opportunity to do some activities.

The first was on gross motor. We pretended to be like the trees in our garden being blown about by the wind. This was good for him as it got him to raise his arms straight up (or as straight as he could) and get some swaying movement.

The second was on maths. What's rain got to do with maths? Well, the wind had blown some raindrops onto the glass sliding door. Some droplets were rolling down. He noticed them. I thought I'd teach him maths concept & vocabulary of first, second, third etc. So we paired up raindrops & guessed which would be first to the finish line (the bottom).

I also took the opportunity to point out that the raindrops rolling down start off small & slow, then as they pick up more water from other raindrops, it gets bigger, picks up speed & rolls down faster. I'm unsure how to classify this lesson. Is it physics?

The whole event probably took only 15mins. But I'm happy to have taken that opportunity to teach a few things, and I didnt even need to prepare any materials!

No comments:

Post a Comment