Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Montessori Pink Series - Middle vowel

Homemade Middle Vowel Phonic Activity Sheet

As part of the Montessori reading pink series, my son ought to be able to identify the middle vowel of decodeable words. Pink series decodeable words are either vowel-consonant types (e.g on, in) or consonant-vowel-consonant types (like in the photo above).

I made the sheet for the middle vowel activity in the same manner as that for the ending consonant activity I wrote about in my last post. I merely changed the words.

I decided to start off by choosing words with the same beginning & ending consonant, like in the photo, & the only variant is the vowel. This would help emphasise the middle vowel sound. I got that idea from a VCD he likes watching - The Word Machine. In it they had a very catchy jingle about a big bog bug in a bag.

Having played the middle vowel game with my son, I realised that it's harder than the ending consonant activity, so I help him out by emphasising the middle vowel repeatedly. That's ok because it was stated as such in the montessori literary file I borrowed from my friend. The reason it's harder is that the vowel tends not to be emphasised in normal speech. That friend is also a kindergarten principal and she did agree that it's hard for the kids to identify it.

From my observation, the difficulty is the similarity in the sounds of the short vowel e & short vowel a. For e.g. b-a-g and b-e-g sounds the same. She wondered if my son had difficulty differentiating between the vowel i & e. Having thought about it, I think he's able to differentiate i & e.

I've made a few more pages of words with the middle vowel missing in the same manner (e.g. tap, top; cap, cop, cup) & will slowly introduce them over the next few weeks.

By the way, this activity also requires him to use his fine motor in picking up the correct letters from the box & laying them on the blanks (hand eye); reinforces alphabet recognition; visual discrimination etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment