Wednesday, September 23, 2009

KL Bird Park

A friend invited my son & I to visit the Bird Park together with her girls. Her eldest is the same age as my son & used to attend playgroup together. Unfortunately that morning, I had an upset tummy, most likely due to the salad dinner the night before, so they went ahead without us.

Hearing that my friend & her girls enjoyed it, I brought my son there today. We enjoyed it too!It's clean, has a lot of shade & rest stops & mini cafes, surrounding is well maintained, birds seemed healthy. I took very few photos as I was alone with my son without a helper & I wanted to enjoy the place rather turn it into a photography session.
I liked the fact that there were a lot of birds that were free to roam as they please within the giant aviary. It is after all touted to be world's largest free-flight, walk-in aviary. There are of course birds in cages like the eagles, hawks & exotic ones like birds of paradise.

My son liked that the birds were so close to him (as opposed to being in cages) during the free-flying birds feeding time. Peacocks, peahens, egrets, ibis & storks were among the free-flying birds roaming around. I think it was the first time I saw the Western Victoria Crowned Pigeon - beautiful large gentle birds with such a delicate patterned crown. Shame I didnt take a photo.

We were lucky to come across 2 small Asian hornbills roaming free.

I loved the vibrant colours of the birds - macaws, toucans, lories & those in the oriental birds aviary. Stunning! There was a section of the aviary (World of Parrots) which allowed visitors to feed special liquid bird food to the lories, parakeets etc. See photo above.

There are also other features like a waterfall with fishes. According to my friend, there's a nursery where kids can play with the chicks and ducklings. I'll have to come back for that & other sections.

We missed several sections as it's spread out over a large area. My son was tired when we were about half way through. He was afterall wearing his neurosuit. I think with the birds, he walked a lot longer in duration & distance compared to just bringing him for a walk at Lake Gardens.
We did spot the emus & ostriches as we rested at a hut overlooking the Flightless Birds section. Unfortunately a gust of wind blew the wrong direction, from their enclosures to where we were & the smell of their droppings made my son vomit.

For more details about the Bird Park, head over their website: http://www.klbirdpark.com/index.htm

Note that there's a special rate if you bring along your MyKad & Jusco card/MJ card. If your child has the Orang Kurang Upaya (OKU) card, bring it along too cos they'll waive his entrance fee. I also noted that it's rather wheelchair friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment