Thursday, October 1, 2009

Homemade books (Pink series): Bad Cats

My son has grown to love the books I made for him. Phew! He asks to read those books at least 3 times a day.

He didnt like the Montessori Pink Series activity of matching the words to the pictures. He could do them but I could tell he wasn't keen. He could also match toy/real objects to the words but that wont get me very far either in increasing his reading skills. He was very interested in trying to "read" off boxes, labels, stuff around the house. I couldn't find suitable early reading books on the internet which are compatible with the Pink Series. Most had 4 or more letter words, several non-decodeable words or use the long vowel sounds. Those types of books would be suitable at a later stage but not now.

Those are the reasons why I moved on to making my own books for him. He's read through almost 10 homemade books. They're very simple books containing short phrases or short sentences. I know what makes him tick so I customise some of the books to catch his interest.

He is able to decode the words by saying the phonic sounds and blending them. Most of the time he cant just look at the word then say the word without going through that process of blending aloud. I know he will eventually and at least I know that he's not just blindly memorising them.

I'm also introducing short non-decodeable words, those which are high frequency words like I, he, the. For those words, he can say the word without blending (you cant blend them anyway).

It's been a slow process and I dont rush him but it's progressing well (in my opinion). He often asks me to read the books with him.

The photos below are pages from his book "Bad Cat" which is currently one of his favourites. I think he likes it because it contains only a few words which are repeated many times and has funny pictures (funny to him). I mean no offence to cat-lovers. In my future posts, I will share other books that I've made.






No comments:

Post a Comment