Friday, October 16, 2009

Article on craniosacral therapy

This article appeared in the New Straits Times, Tues 13 Oct 2009. It's about the Cranial Sacral Therapy (craniosacral therapy) that my son has twice weekly. It's helped him a lot and the therapist, Fezia is a remarkable mother, therapist and friend.

COVER STORY: Power of touch
2009/10/13


SUZANNA PILLAY learns about craniosacral therapy, an alternative healing treatment.

CAN the power of touch heal?
Craniosacral therapy (CST) is an alternative healing therapy which advocates the power of touch to treat complaints such as mental stress, neck and back pain, migraines, and chronic pain conditions. “CST can help people suffering from most conditions. It does equally well with muscular or joint issues, nervous system as well as the psycho-emotional and low energy states,” said Ged Sumner, a practising CST therapist with Body Intelligence Training, which offers a practitioner course at Biodynamic CST in Kuala Lumpur.

“It uses gentle touching to restore the flow of the craniosacral system in the body, which includes the bones, nerves, cerebrospinal fluids and connective tissues of the cranium and spinal area.”
In a typical CST session, the therapist places his/her hands on the patient “to tune” into the patient’s CST system to release restricted nerve passages and optimise the movement of cerebrospinal fluid which may have been “trapped” by trauma to the body, caused by falls, accidents or general nervous tension, said Sumner, who is also the author of the book Body Intelligence — Creating a New Environment. Sumner has taught biodynamic CST as a senior tutor and course director for the Craniosacral Therapy Educational Trust (CTET) practitioner training in London. He was also a senior tutor for Resonance Training courses in Australia and New Zealand. He set up the CST Fountain Clinic in London and the CTET Living Anatomy training,which offers a holistic view of the anatomy and physiology of the body.

Sumner said results are often immediate (apparent after five to 10 sessions) with patients feeling a significant change in their health. “Benefits include a better state of mind, more rested body, increase in energy and focus, better posture and movement, improvement in digestion and breathing.”

Another believer in CST is Fezia Tyebally. She went into CST seven years ago. “Then I was studying Sensory Integration techniques and my tutor kept referring to ‘cranial work’. “It really sounded alien to me so I did not pay too much attention. Then I was invited to watch her work with children during her one-to-one sessions.

“These were kids with severe autism and cerebral palsy. Before starting the Sensory Integration or movement therapy with a child, she had her hands on different parts of his body and was quiet. “At first I thought she was meditating but it was unusual that the kids calmed down quickly and were compliant after that session.

That’s when I learnt about CST. “I was intrigued so I decided to undergo a session myself. I always had backache and it was during a CST session that I felt my spine being twisted in different directions but at the end of it, while not completely free of the pain, I felt much better. “I had another session and this time did not feel anything. But the next day, I realised I did not have severe back pain. It was subtle.

That’s when I thought it is something I would like to learn. “I wanted to work with special children and was looking for a modality I could use with them. My direction was motor sensory stimulation and integration — big, movement-based therapies.”

Fezia still went on to learn these subjects but CST fascinated her. “I did the Upledger training and went up to Advanced Level 1 and did my paediatric training. “I had practical training with a therapist who was also trained in the biodynamic way and I found her work rich and deep. “And so I did a two-year diploma in biodynamic CST.”

Today about 80 per cent of the people that Fezia sees are children, mostly with special needs such as autism, cerebral palsy, learning difficulties and social problems. She travels to Beijing, Zhengzhou, Shenzen in China, Medan and Jakarta in Indonesia and Penang every month to see special needs children.

“When working with children with cerebral palsy, there is a need to work on the structure and the tissues. “After working with these children, most find physiotherapy and speech therapy easier.” Autistic children become calmer after CST sessions.

“Many start babbling or even vocalising more and then have the opportunity to absorb more of the outside world as they are not frustrated with the tightness in their body.” For special children, CST is a wonderful, gentle adjunctive therapy.

“The special needs population do require long-term treatment and it may take a few years. Usually changes are seen between six and 10 sessions, some sooner. “I enjoy working with these kids and find it rewarding.

Some parents said their children had actually gestured — by pointing to their heads and the family car — to be brought for another treatment. “When they see me I am usually greeted with a hug and children run straight into the therapy room and get onto the couch. The kids with cerebral palsy give me a huge smile and start ‘cooing’ when they resume therapy after an absence.”

Fezia’s own son Amir is a spastic quadrapleagic, and she uses CST on him daily. “He has reduced tone as the facial tissue has been stretched gently through this work. This has enabled him to do his physical programme with more ease and less pain. “He had lost his swallow reflex, and he was oral defensive and tight around the jaw and neck. He eats 100 per cent orally now.”

Another mother who saw a positive difference in her daughter’s eating habits after CST treatments is S.P. Siew. “When my daughter was a baby, she had difficulty drinking milk. It was so tiring for her that she only managed to finish two ounces at six months old! However, after one CST treatment, she finished four ounces in half the time!

“Using CST techniques, Fezia diagnosed that my daughter’s facial muscles, especially those around her mouth and her diaphragm were tight. “She taught me simple CST exercises I could do with my daughter at home and she continued to improve.” Apart from children, Fezia has also helped adults.

Yoga teacher Han Ni Choong claims CST cured her of her back and shoulder pain, caused by a misalignment of her spine, which had previously restricted her from trying and practising many yoga postures.
“I would visit Chinese medical doctors, chiropractors and physiotherapists often. During the CST sessions, the pain and tightness from my neck, shoulder and back would disappear. Thanks to the realignment of my spine, I no longer feel pain when attempting yoga postures.”

No comments:

Post a Comment