Saturday, October 24, 2009

Homemade book (Pink Series): I am

This is his book with high repetition of the words "I am".

I had introduced some high frequency decodeable words (e.g. "am") to him in this manner. "I" is a simple sight word introduced here.

I keep the sentences simple, and limit the book to just 4-6 pages.

When he reads, I cover the picture with my hand so that he doesn't try to guess the word. He has to use phonics to decode it. Only when he finishes the page do I reveal the picture. In a way it's an incentive to decode it to check if he's got it right. I also talk a bit about the word & picture with the aim of putting the written word in context.

Pictures chosen are intentionally attractive or funny and appropriate to the sentence to aid understanding of words.

Font size is still large but in the Blue Series I'll shrink it slightly.

I had also introduced the phrase "The end" in several of the books.







4 comments:

  1. I love these books:)!!! Would you be willing to share these with a download button or an emailed copy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. When I put up my homemade books on my blog it was also with the intention to share cos it was so hard to find suitable books!

    I couldnt figure out a way to upload the files - not on blogger anyway. If you do know, pls do tell, so I can share files easily with others.

    In the meantime, drop me an email at humbledmum@gmail.com so I can email you the files as you've not left your email address. Pls do state which books you're interested in. I made slightly over 20 books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, you an amazing mother for spending time to create such perfect first reading books. I don't know how to upload files either.

    My e-mail address is taralewis04@yahoo.com and I would love it if you could e-mail me the books. MUCH APPRECIATED! You know the books better than I do so send whatever you feel is appropriate. Love them all! Thanks soooo much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I would love these books if possible i homeschool my son and we r just getting on to reading pink series level books. My email is nicolegul786@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete