Sunday, December 6, 2009

Stem Cells

I recently re-discovered another mother's blog. I say re-discovered cos I remember coming across her blog many months ago.

What attracted me this time was her posting on stem cells. Her daugther who also has CP had such good progress resulting from it. You can read about it via the links below:

Her update 6 weeks post stem cell therapy:
http://makenziesmiracle.blogspot.com/2009/09/stem-cell-update.html

Her journal whilst at Costa Rica for the stem cell injections:
http://makenziesmiracle.blogspot.com/2006/07/costa-rica-journal.html

The recent round of newbies that came for Neurosuit included an Indian family who flew in from India. They did stem cells for their daughter in India. Whilst I did not get the chance to talk to them, my son's therapist did. She said that they saw remarkable progress as a result.

Am I thinking of stem cells for my son? Yes and no. When the therapist first mentioned it, I was very wary about it. I'm a risk averse person. Anything invasive, I'll try to avoid. But, now, after reading her blog, I think that it's something I should at least research further.

It holds promise. There's hope. It may be the accelerator that my son needs before he reaches primary school age. Perhaps the harsh reality of how people here react to my son's differences and how unsupportive the education system is, is pushing me towards stem cells.

But, I'm so scared. What assurance do I have that it wont make things worse? If it's status quo after the treatment, then I'd have wasted a huge amount of money, but he'd still be the same as before the treatment (ie bad but not so bad). But I can't live with myself if it instead makes him worse.

I'll have to tread carefully. I'll need lots of prayer and God's guidance. It took the mother a year of researching. How long will it take me? Perhaps I should tag along with another mother who has plans for stem cells therapy for her CP son.

No comments:

Post a Comment