Sunday, December 6, 2009

Restful Sunday

After my past few posts, friends have advised that I take things a bit easier. It's hard for me to slow down for reasons I'll not go into tonight. But, today, it was a restful Sunday for me. I just couldn't wake up this morning. So I slept and slept (with interuptions), until lunchtime while my helper took care of my son. Such a treat! It was good to have rested though I ended up with a brain fog the rest of the day! : )

Sleep certainly helped put me in a better mood, have a better perspective on events, and a more optimistic outlook on life. Good restful sleep would have enabled me to turn the rest of the day into a far more productive one. While the latter was not to be, I'm definitely glad to have gotten the many extra hours of rest.

His cold
At times it seems like his cold is getting better, at times not. I had hoped he'd have recovered by now. But I'm at the very least grateful it's not gotten a lot worse. For sure, we're going to kindergarten tomorrow. I'm actually looking forward to it, with the hope that Mrs K is more hands on.

Whiny and clingy
He's been whining a lot since last week. Far more clingy since he fell ill. He asks that I be with him all the time, whether it's when he plays with his vehicles, or when he's had his meal but I'm still eating, or even when I'm in the toilet. The incessant whining feels like a throw back to his younger days.

Controlled items
When he's sick, clingy, and my helper or I need to do our things, we usually resort to bringing out the "controlled items". "Controlled items"? Yes, controlled, in the sense that he doesnt usually get to play with them on normal days. When he's got those controlled items, nothing else in the world matters. He's deaf to you. He's just so engrossed with it. You'd probably guess by now what those are....his cars, trucks, diggers, dump trucks, trains....Those have been coming out of the cupboard a lot lately! LOL

Kindergarten stress
I had read in the past that when kids start kindergarten, there are a lot of demands made on them. There are changes to their routines, new environment to get used to, new people to get to know, new social settings, new challenges, separation anxiety (that last one isn't applicable to him). I'm guessing his whining and clinginess are resulting from starting kindergarten. I've responded with more hugs, kisses, reassurances, whilst balancing that against spoiling him.

No comments:

Post a Comment