Sunday, December 20, 2009

Progress of his speech

In the past few weeks my son has been talking a lot more, and saying new things. I think it was brought about from exposing him to a school environment where he's surrounded by lots of kids who seem to be constantly talking.

He's also asking more questions. I remember not so long ago (3-6mths back?), I had asked his speech therapist why is it that he wasnt asking questions like his peers. She had explained the reason and said that it'll come. It has now!

I'm so glad that not only is he talking more but also asking questions cos it serves as a guide to know what he's interested in. Armed with that insight, I hope to be able to feed his natural curiousity, and to customise lessons.

Having said that, he does tend to ask questions to which he already knows the answer. Perhaps it's because he seeks reinforcement of his knowledge. Perhaps he wants my attention. Or perhaps he's indicating that he wants to be introduced to new stuff - I feel I've not been spending enough time with him on expanding his cognitive abilities. I was focusing on his gross motor and fine motor the past few weeks. But that's another story.

I've been trying to remember the stuff he says, but as usual, I tend to forget. So below are bits and pieces of things he's said.

"Look at me!" - he had glitter dust all over his hands from making greeting cards. That was the first time ever, saying that. It was said about 1-2 weeks ago.

"Look at me!" - he had on his brand new shoes. This was said on Friday just past.

"I'm still hungry...Are you?" - after he had his smoothie! I usually doubt it when it's said after a meal or snack. The statement that he's still hungry is said often. The new part is where he adds on the "are you". It was said about a week ago.

"I dont know how to swim. Mama help me to swim better." - we were at the club and he was looking at a man swimming. It's grammatically incorrect but it was two sentences in one breath! That is his longest ever! It was said on Friday just past.

"What's wrong with you?" - it wasn't in a rude tone, the way adults scold someone else. He was making a statement. I was taken aback nonetheless. He's never said that before. It was out of the blue. No context set immediately before that. I think I had just changed my clothes and he came up to me saying that. I was puzzled. He then put his hand on my tummy, gave it a rub and said "Tummy ok now!". I made a guess and asked him if my tummy was upset and by rubbing it, he made it better. He nodded. (If he had hurt himself, that's what I do to make it better - rub it gently). I think it was said a few days ago.

"Pretend only!" - that's his answer when asked if he was a puppy (he was biting and tugging at his pillowcase); and when asked if he was a lion (when he roars); and when asked if he needs to pee (he holds his pants). This phrase is being said quite often in the last 1-2 weeks.

"Mama, look up there!" - he was fascinated with the lighted up stained glass. Normally, he'd just point and not use his words. This was his first time using his words to get me to look. I could sense the excitement in his voice. It came out very fast, the moment I entered the room. It was said a few days ago.

"How about that one?" - I dont have much time to shop and its hard to shop with him around nowadays, so a few days ago, after KizSports, I quickly darted into a shop (looking for a sweater for him). To avoid him crying and protesting (boredom), I roped him in. I casually asked him what he thought of this shirt or that jumper. He would sometimes answer. Then, after pointing out several items to him, I was surprised that he happily did a role reversal! He was instead now asking me "How about that one?" pointing randomly to the clothes. I gave my reply - too big; too small; let me check for size - oops, no size; too rocker; not nice colour; maybe; that's for adults; that's for girls. Sometimes he'd repeat my answer. It became a new game to him. I was happy to play along cos I found it very amusing. In the end didnt find anything suitable but it was the most fun shopping experience I had with him!

"Where is papa now?" He started asking this a few days ago. Before that, it was "Where is mama? Where is mama?" in a very sad voice, the moment I'm not within sight. He's been very clingy the past few weeks - but that again, is a story for another post. I'm glad he's now asking about papa.

"How are you doing, mama?" - that's what he means to say but it comes out as "How doing mama?". That's due to his dysarthria, where he skips some phenomes or syllables or words. I remind him there are missing words and get him to repeat slowly. I think this started 2-3 weeks ago.

"What's that sound?" - he asks this even when he most likely knows the answer: e.g. rain, a car alarm going off, papa walking around in the next room; toilet being flushed next door. Sometimes, it's a new sound: e.g. my car going over something on the road. I think this started 2-3 weeks ago too. There are games he plays where he guesses the sound - perhaps I'll write about it separately.

"What does it mean?" - when I use a word he doesnt understand. It's good for building his vocab. Perhaps started saying it 4 weeks ago.

"What happened there?" - while pointing to a car's missing hub cap or a dent. He also asked it while pointing to the outdoor play equipment or field in his kindergarten. He was asking me to relate the games they played there earlier on.

Other points noted

I note that he's asked 'who', 'what', 'where', and 'how' questions but not asked "Why" questions. I dont know why he's not asking 'why' questions!

I'm the one always asking him 'why' and it's usually this: "why are you angry?" and "why did you do that?" He's unfortunately been angry quite often.

The other aspect to note about his speech is that his volume is getting a little louder when he's at home. It's still very soft when talking to outsiders. But I am noting that there is a slight increase in the frequency of speaking in a slightly louder voice to his music teacher or CST therapist. Slow process.

No comments:

Post a Comment