Thursday, December 31, 2009

Homemade Pre-Writing Motor Skills Board


I remember seeing something like this (a wooden version), on the internet (or did I see it at an OT session?), a long time ago. It's for those with fine motor impairment and helps them practice their pre-writing skills.

Whilst searching for that photo above, I came across this website http://www.sentoylibrary.derbys.nhs.uk/ViewCatalogue/FineMotor/tabid/60/Default.aspx.
I know there are toy libraries in Klang Valley because I had searched for them last year. But I doubt they are anywhere near as well stocked as this place in UK. It's part of their NHS (National Health Service). I could probably start my own (after he out grows those toys) but am more likely to donate them to a special needs centre etc. But I digress...



I finally got round to making my improvised version today. Just needed a coloured corrugated plastic board, pencil, ruler and good cutter. I showed him how to use it. The first time, he pressed so lightly that it was hardly visible. I told him to press down harder as he was about to do it the second time. The result is that black line below the blue board. I guided his hand the first time but for the second time, I merely held my hand above his.

I had forgotten about all these boards, as it was a long time ago that I saw it. I was reminded about it when I was recently browsing a local website for Montessori maths stuff.



The local website's pre-writing motor skills board is different. In their version, the child uses a knob to move it around the piece. I plan to make my own version where it's just cut out from corrugated plastic board (but of course!), which means he has to use a pencil to trace out the pattern.

There are plans and then there are plans so stay tuned and you'll see if I do get round to making something similar to that red board above!

No comments:

Post a Comment