Thursday, December 31, 2009

Orientation Day

It was Orientation Day at his kindergarten today. It's for new students and their parents to get to know the place, the classroom, the science room, the computer room etc. It's the day they announce the allocation of kids to classes.

I had a few weeks ago, called up the principal to request for my son to be with the 5 year old kids. After that I simply prayed, submitting it to God, as it is out of my hands from then on. So, which class was my son put in? The 5 year olds! Yay! An answered prayer.

The ratio of teachers to students is a bit big in this school, but it's not so bad as I'll be with him. At the moment, it's 16 kids in his class. Of the 16 names, I saw 5 familiar names - 4 from the holiday programme and 1 whom we met at the neighbourhood playground. On top of it, the autistic boy isn't in his class. Yay!

My son sat very patiently through most of the powerpoint presentation, clapping when everyone else clapped. But in the last 5 minutes, he was calmouring to leave the hall.

I very briefly met the class teacher, Mrs AJ. I said "very briefly" cos my son wouldn't let go of me, insisting I accompany him as he explored his new class.

We wandered into the computer room. He briefly played a number recognition game. They use a wired mouse there, which he isn't used to. At home, he's used to the laptop's touchpad.

He refused to enter the science room. He probably felt that it was not inviting cos all the windows were shut, lights were off, (stuffy feeling too) and he probably remembered the plastic human skeleton at the back of the room!



We next wandered into the Montessori room. I saw the "pink tower" and immediately brought him there. I showed it to him and he liked it too. It wasnt painted pink, but left bare with a coat of varnish, which is more attractive actually. We spent a few minutes playing with that.



Then he moved on to the red knobless cylinders (he calls it the twin tower as it was displayed beside the pink tower). He needed help arranging those on the table (instead of being stacked up) from smallest to largest.



I have been wanting to get the pink tower for him but held back because it's kinda costly considering it's only made of wood and are mere cube shapes (I know there's a lot of thought behind it) and there are more of those sensorial items that I want to get for him. It's something I can't make myself. It's something I know he needs practice on. He still struggles with arranging objects like stacking cups and stacking blocks. There are several Montessori items that help with that aspect of visual discrimination/grading/visual sense - the broad stairs, the knobbed cylinders, the knobless cylinders. Oh, how I'd love to get my hands on those for my son to practice! Those added up cost a tiny fortune, so I've been thinking long and hard on alternatives.

He saw the kids playing in the playground and headed off to join them. He gravitated to his favourite equipment - the camper van. Have I mentioned he loves vehicles? LOL. He still observes the other kids from outside the camper van and likes to keep the back door closed. He's not gained enough confidence to climb inside it as the place is a bit cramped and kids movements are unpredictable.

We left early as there wasn't any further structured activity and I didnt have any questions to ask (it could wait til Monday) or places to explore.

No comments:

Post a Comment