Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Upcoming book sale

A friend notified me of the upcoming book sale- the Big Bad Wolf Book Sale.

Date: 26 Nov - 2 Dec 2009
Time: 10am - 9pm
Location: Level 3, Amcorp Mall, PJ

Website: http://www.bigbadwolfbooks.com/

From their website, it looks like the prices are cheap. I didnt go to their previous sale, so I hope they've got good quality picture books with large print, and books with high quality illustrations.

I've kinda given up searching for commercially sold early reader books that are suitable for my son. Instead, at the recent Pearson's warehouse sale, I bought just a few books (less than 5) that have a high repetition of key words, with very few words on a single page, with large print.

Two of those books were DK and he does like them. Those books are actually targetting kids younger than him and I believe it was not meant to be used to teach reading.

But, I use whatever resources I can find. I've given it a try and it's helped him learn a new high frequency word "are". He's getting reinforcement on the word "do". He's learning punctuation like the "question mark" and the "hypen".

I'm also trying to catch some words in there which can be blended and which can be categorised in the "Montessori blue series". Most importantly, he likes the book because he finds it funny. It asks silly questions to which he already knows the answer - e.g. Do cows bark?  Are elephants tiny?

He's picked up new vocab "tiny" and "huge". I usually use the synonym "small" and "big" and moved on to "little" and "large". So that's the good thing about exposing him to lots of books cos he'll pick up more vocab.

Tonight, he asked "what's that" pointing to the series of circles on the page. I said "That's the thought bubble". He replied "what does that mean, mama?". So I explained it.

I'm very happy that he's begun to ask questions, is curious and likes books. Those are the reasons why I'll definitely check out the book sale even though he already has a lot of books!

No comments:

Post a Comment