Sunday, November 15, 2009

Kind and thoughtful friends

In the past week, I was very touched by the kindness and thoughtfulness shown by friends.

Peter and Jane books
On Friday, a mother of a special needs child whom I only recently got to know gave us her whole collection of Peter and Jane Ladybird series! I hadn't realised that she read my blog about my son learning to read. She thought of my son when she was doing her spring cleaning and came across those and books to teach Chinese.

I was taken aback by her kindness as it's a small fortune in that entire collection! On top of that, despite being busy, she spent a few minutes listening to my concerns on selecting a right kindergarten and shared her experiences. I always find the sharing of other mother's experiences valuable, especially those who have an appreciation of how the needs of special needs kids are so different.

Kindergarten Sports Day

Then there was an invitation from my friend who's a kindergarten principal to attend their Sports Day (this morning) even though my son doesn't go there.

Unfortunately, my son had slept very late at 11.30pm (cos celebrated my sis' birthday!) and slept badly last night so he woke up late. By the time we joined them at the Sports Day (9.30am), he missed the games for kids his age.

Despite her being obviously tired from running the Sports Day, whilst in the midst of clearing up, she continued to show kindness by taking a moment away to take a few photos with us and his music teacher.

Playgroup Concert

A few days ago, I had received a call from the person in charge of the playgroup which my son used to attend last year. I hadn't heard from her for a long time but she still remembered my son. She invited us to their Concert (early this afternoon) even though my son no longer goes to their playgroup.

We went home after the Sports Day for my son to have lunch before we went for the concert. We managed to catch the Letterland presentation. I was amazed that most of the kids, younger than my son, were so brave to be able to stand up on stage to sing their part.

Appreciation

I'm very thankful to God for the kindness and thoughtfulness shown to us. Similarly, I hope to be able to bless others in return, through my words or deeds. I pray too that my son will be surrounded by such kind and thoughtful people throughout his life, and for him to appreciate good friends, and for he himself to be a good friend to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment