Sunday, November 1, 2009

Progress of his speech: He's asking questions!

I had more than 6 months ago (approx), asked his speech therapist why she thought it might be that he wasn't asking questions the way other 3 year olds would. And I had asked her the same question again a few months ago. I think it's common that kids go through a phase where they frequently ask "why".

She told me both times that it's because he would then be engaging in a conversation, requiring back and forth speech, requiring more words to be spoken. Back then he was only saying very short phrases and had to be coaxed to say them, and I would have been doing a lot of modelling for him.

She assured me that it's not because he wasnt thinking or being analysing things. She reassured me that his receptive speech and his cognitive skills are at or above his peers.

Well, I'll be most happy to tell her that he's been asking questions! No prompting needed. I think it started slowly, with just the odd question in a week and it progressed from there.

I think reading those homemade books have helped him too. There are 2 books where these questions were repeated frequently: "What is it?" and "Who is it?".

Other questions he asks:
What happened?
Where is it?

Although not said in a question form, he showed that he understood the meaning of "how". He had said, "I don't know how to (fall back to) sleep". Let me put that in context: he had just woken up in the middle of the night and couldn't fall back to sleep by himself.

There is of course no doubt that the Neurosuit has helped in his speech progress in the sense that it improved his breath length to enable him to speak more in a single breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment