Sunday, November 22, 2009

Teaching him to pedal


His nap lasted longer than I expected, so I managed to write this post which is long overdue.

About 3 weeks ago, we started to teach him to pedal on his bicycle at the park. The exercise is meant to strengthen his lower quads, so as to lengthen his walking gait.

Actually, we've been trying to teach him to pedal for many months, if not a year. We had put him on his tricycle at home. We had very little progress.



Desa Parkcity Waterfront area leading to the lake

Then his therapist noted that he had grown, as kids do, but seeing him everyday, I didnt realise just how much he did grow. She suggested that we try him on his 'new' bike (with trainer wheels) and to do it at the park, where there's much more space.
 

So 3 weeks ago, we brought him to try out at Desa Parkcity, Lake Gardens, Titiwangsa Park and back to Desa Parkcity, over four consecutive days.

I was very happy to see the progress though slow. It was hard on our backs and hamstrings. The special bikes are expensive (more than RM1k I think) so we'll make do with "manual labour"!
Photo above and below: Views of the lake at Desa Parkcity

Initially his feet kept falling off the pedal and we'd have to bend down and put his feet back on the pedal very often. He slowly progressed to the stage where he could most of the time keep his feet on the pedal, as the pedal goes round and round. That's provided he's focused and not distracted by vehicles going past etc.

Then 2 weeks ago, I fell ill with food poisoning and a back log of errands to do before he starts his holiday programme, so there was a break from all gross motor exercises for 2 weeks.

So, when we resumed on Friday this week, it was kinda like back to square one. We had to start all over again. But fortunately, he picked it up faster this time around. He even managed to go two full rounds around the lake. We were very tired but I was very happy. I think it took us a hour to complete 2 rounds.

Today, we went again to Desa Parkcity. It was just me and him, without my helper this time. It was challenging without my helper. The light drizzle made it worse. He insisted on stepping out to the park in the drizzle when I didnt have an umbrella. The tears came and his "crying" volume went up, when I insisted we head back to the car for the umbrella. Everyone stared - it must have been quite a sight! I had a backpack on my back, carrying a bag of old bread (to feed the fish), carrying a wailing kid in a strange outfit (neurosuit) whilst pulling along his bike. But I digress so I wont finish that scene.


Photo on the left was at Titiwangsa, but he favours Desa Parkcity now

The drizzle thankfully stopped by the time we sorted ourselves out. My son and I made it in one piece around the entire lake (maybe 1km?). He did quite well in keeping his feet on the pedal. Now at times, I just push his back, allowing him to steer himself (instead of me pushing and steering together). At times, I also let go briefly, when we are going down a gentle slope.

Whilst he still cant push down on the pedals, nor adjust his seating position, he can at least keep his feet on the pedal when the pedal goes round and round as we push him...well, most of the time anyway.  It's hard work but it's all for his sake, and I get to exercise and enjoy the outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment