Saturday, November 7, 2009

FGA PSG Sports Day

We went for the Sports Day organised by the Parent Support Group. I expected to stay for only a short while cos he doesnt like noisy places. It turned out far better than I expected. We stayed the entire session and on top of that, he participated in a few events with me accompanying him.

At first, he was very hesistant to even go near the event, stalling every few steps while heading to the group of people. He didnt want to participate in the first 2 events. But when I told him that I'd go together with him, he changed his mind and joined in the rest of the day.

There was a very friendly 7 year old boy who stuck close to my son, wanting to help him, cuddle him, sit with him for snacks etc. There was also a 12 or 13 year old boy to liked my son, who kept saying hello, pinching his chubby cheeks, asked about him, etc.

I think the Sports day gave him some new experiences, mostly "sports day" related:
- lining up
- performing a task, then going to the back of the line
- doing some new tasks (e.g. "egg and spoon" race)
- listening for the whistle for the cue to start & cue to finish
- exposure to a small crowd

The organisers wanted to send a message that it doesnt matter if you didnt come in first place, as the teamwork and effort are more important, cos everyone got a medal (2 teams, so it was either a gold or silver medal!). I reckon he's still young and does not yet appreciate this fact, though he does understand that in a race, there is a first place. (My son and I used to race to the sink to wash our hands, upon coming home)

He behaved very well. No temper tantrums, no crying despite it being hot, crowded, noisy and at times a bit confusing (typical of sports days really, but today's was considered very well run). There was a gazebo which provided some shade but most people were seeking shade there, so it was crowded there, despite it being in an open area.

He didnt speak though other kids and mothers spoke to him. This is something I expected. He has yet to build up his confidence in speaking to strangers. I suppose this will be developed when he starts kindergarten.


He was definitely happy with receiving a medal (everyone gets a medal) as he kept looking at it, turning it around etc. He was surprised to receive a second medal (for the family game - again every participant receives a medal) and he did the same, looked at it, turned it around, kept on holding it.

It was very well organised and I'm sure everyone had an enjoyable time. Looking forward to next year's!

No comments:

Post a Comment