Saturday, January 2, 2010

Teaching him addition

Today I introduced him to the maths concept of addition. The series of photos below illustrate some of the steps I used. It's based on Montessori principles but I improvised heavily on the presentation of it.

I used magnetic numbers, a magnetic board, and paper stars as the physical counters.



I laid out all the numbers (for easy selection). I introduced the symbols 'add/plus' and 'equals/is'.



For the first set of sums, I showed him how to 'play the game' as he calls. I chose two numbers placing it in the equation. I then verbalised what "2+5=" sounds like in words.



Then counted out the correct number of stars and placed them below the numbers.



Then showed that when I add them, I move them all to after the 'equals' sign.



Then counted the number of stars and placed the right numeral after the 'equals' sign. Then read out the equation.

We did 2 more sums, with a lot of guidance from me. I'm glad that he took an interest and was paying attention.

In one of the sums, the total was 11. I'm not sure if it's ok to introduce addition which total is more than 9 at this early point in time. I think I should hold off on such addition until I've taught him the decimal system.

That's the problem I'm facing right now. I've read bits and pieces, watched very very short videos on presenting the various equipments used in Montessori maths. But I am missing a lot more. I do not know which I should introduce first before other things.

Ending on a happier note, as I chose the final set of numbers for the 3rd sum, papa walked past and gave him encouragement. I then engaged in a brief conversation with my husband. Before I could count out the stars for the equation 4 + 4, my son was already telling my husband the answer. "Eight. Eight. eight!" (my son repeats his words cos of his dysarthria)

Before you think my son is a genius (he's not), I'll have you know that in playgroup which he attended in 2008, one of the songs they sang was on addition. It goes something like this:

One and one, two
Two and two, four
Three and three are six to me
Four and four, eight
Five and five, ten
little fingers on my hand.

I had sung that many times back in 2008 but not since then. I guess it got registered in his memory! Is that rote learning? Did he understand the song was about addition? I did use my fingers to physically show him that one finger plus one finger equals two fingers. Perhaps he was already picking up the concept? Perhaps it was blind memorisation? Who knows!

No comments:

Post a Comment