Saturday, January 23, 2010

He's recovering

He slept well last night, without any coughing. His afternoon nap was a good hour and a half, without coughing too.

His runny nose stopped during the day. But it started a little again tonight probably because this evening, we were seated under the fan in the TV area (cos we were enjoying the company of an aunt from Australia who's with us for holiday).

We went for nebuliser only once today, just before bedtime, which means he is getting better. He needed the nebuliser twice yesterday.

Hoping he sleeps just as well tonight so that he continues his recovery...and so that I get to rest more too.

I've got a sore throat today from all the running around today and yesterday. Slightly dehydrated and heaty, I think.

Stayed up late-ish last night waiting for my aunt to arrive. This morning, my husband and I went to the maid agency to select a new helper. We were there for 2 solid hours which was far longer than I expected.

Thankfully the timing of my aunt's arrival was good cos we left our son at home with my helper and my aunt to keep an eye. After lunch, I had a good nap for an hour together with my son, but still felt tired. I snuck out while he was still sleeping, to a book warehouse sale...and got lost on the way! I think driving (and getting lost) in the hot afternoon sun was the 'last straw' cos I felt really ill at the sale.

Thankfully I had my helper cook a simple dinner at home, cos it allowed me to spend some time with my son. It was the only 'activity' time I had with him today. At the other times, I was either about to head out or just got home, or was caring for him (in the toilet etc).

After dinner, I headed out to a supermarket nearby to get his fruits (he has a smoothie everyday) and then it was off to the hospital.

I am worried about how we'll cope without my current helper. Even though I will have a new helper when she leaves, there'll be a steep learning curve for her, and a big language barrier (doesn't know English or Malay). A lot of time would be spent on training her, instead of on my son. I always feel that I should be spending time with my son as it's a race against time in terms of helping the development of special needs kids.

I'm trying to "stock up" on things before my current helper leaves cos I wont be able to shop when the new helper arrives (too busy training new helper). Since middle of last year, I have also been slowly (key word here being "slowly"! LOL) clearing things out, reorganising things, making new activities for my son, in preparation for the time I'll have to invest in training a new helper.

At times like this, I wish I didnt have to be his shadow aide. I also wish he had much better teachers who could teach him (surely he deserves that?), rather than rely on an incompetent teacher (ie. me, his mom). Instead of just wishing, I'll pray. God loves him. God loves us. Thank you for being with me on my journey. Thank you for your prayer support.

No comments:

Post a Comment