Thursday, January 21, 2010

Progress in Fine Motor

My son's asleep, and it was not as tiring today as we didnt go to school, so I'm able to write an additional post today. There are actually several I want to write, but I'll see how it goes...my son is likely to wake up soon and many times tonight cos of a stuffy nose/cold.


In the photo above, you'll see the first row of stickers not so nicely stuck into the numbered boxes. He started that row several weeks ago, if not 1-2 months ago. He's not so interested in sticking these anymore. Perhaps he's done too many of it in the past cos even if the stickers from Giant and Cold Storage are differently coloured from the Guardian stickers, it's still the same shape, and same card.

Now, note the sticker in box 25. That's the most recent one he did. I think he stuck it a week ago. See how well he placed it in the box. I've been doing a lot more fine motor with him especially since he was sick for a week in Dec and a week in Jan. The time I normally use for gross motor was used for fine motor instead.

I teach him to use both hands when sticking. Left hand helps right hand by fixing the position before right hand releases the rest of the sticker onto the card. His left hand is very weak, so I'm glad to see the progress made.

Also, he has difficulty in adjusting/turning his wrist or arm for fine motor work. This too has improved. You'll see more evidence of it improving in the photos below.


Those are given to him when he is able to tell us he wants to urinate at home, and goes with us, and does it in the toilet (his toileting has improved a lot the last week or so). Note how a lot of the cars are not horizontal. There's even one that's vertical! The nicely horizontal ones are the most recent.


These stickers are 'special stickers' which I started to give him just yesterday. The police car sticker was for urinating in the school toilet for the first time ever yesterday. The double decker bus sticker was for telling us he wanted to urinate while we were in the hospital this morning.

These stickers are smaller than the racing car stickers but are "bulging" (foam inside). The racing car ones are flat. I bought these stickers at Jusco 1 Utama, stationery dept.

I'm very thankful that God has blessed the effort put in...and for various Montessori blogs that gave me the inspiration to create fine motor activities for my son. If I have the time, I'd love to take photos and share.

No comments:

Post a Comment