Friday, January 1, 2010

Photos of oral motor, fine motor activities etc - part 1

I took many photos of his activities to write about and upload into my blog, but due to time constrains, many never quite made it into a posting on my blog.

As part of 'housekeeping' and somewhat timely as it is the year end, I thought I'd do a post of those photos.


That's for colour matching and pincer grip practice





An oral motor activity - blowing cotton/cotton balls, with and without using a straw. The carton is an improvised 'track'. He chose those stickers. The stickers not only make it interesting, but also serves as targets for him to aim when blowing.




Various crazy straws for oral motor work. There's a hierachy in using those differently shaped straws. Hard to find them locally. These were brought by a good friend from UK (thanks Ren!).




Various blowing instruments for oral motor work. Again, there's a hierachy to it. He cant as yet blow on some of them.




For oral motor purposes. Got the idea from speech therapy. I had merely wanted him to blow (cos he had couldnt blow most of the whistles back then). To encourage him, I made up a game, where he had to help the dragonflies reach home etc, by blowing. I'd be manually 'flying' the dragonfly. The dragonflies on the right are wooden pegs which I use for pincer grip practice too.


For hand eye coordination practice. It's homemade as you can see. It's one of his earliest toys. Back then I could not find a commercially sold fishing toy that he could use. Those fishing rods had strings which are too hard for him to control. My version uses a solid rod (old chopstick) with a magnet glued to the end of it.


Wipe clean book for hand eye coordination, pencil grip practice.


His box of stuff for fine motor practice (sorry for the blurry photo) - colourful pegs with cartoon characters, silly putty, Fisher Price cubes of manipulatives, seashells inside the white box, a small wooden top (partially hidden), battery operated bubble blower (to practice finger isolation when he presses the red button). Many of those are still of a challenge for him. I've also added new things as I go along.

My internet connection has gotten incredibly slow, so I'll upload the remaining photos in separate posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment