Friday, February 25, 2011

Stopped crying but sick again

He's been attending school this whole week. There were only a few tears on Monday morning as I was changing him into his unifrom, but it stopped very soon.

Last weekend, I spent a lot of time with him on various activities. I felt that it might give him some assurance that I still do love him, and hope that it might boost his confidence a little (academically).

Another teacher there had suggested that it might have been because he was away from school (for the CNY break) and not used to it. This might be true as he had been absent from school a lot due to his illnesses.

I did tell him many many times that he was to go to school as he is a big boy now. In a few months he'd have to attend "big boy school" (primary school). He said that he wanted to attend big boy school now & not his kindergarten!

So this week, I had the time to sort through old worksheets, activity sheets, filing, reorganising some of his shelves, grocery shopping at the wet market. I also made several of my own maths worksheets, had the alarm technician come by (many times since last week!). I've not really had any rest even though I've not recovered fully.

A few days after his last round of illness, he started coughing AGAIN! It's gradually gotten worse over the week. Last night, the cough medicine knocked him out from 8pm - 2am. I guess that it wore off after that as he started coughing and had interrupted sleep.

So I gave him another dose of the drowsy medicince at 3am but he still coughed a lot until 5.30am, at which time, he annouced that he "had enough sleep". We did some reading, puzzles, until it was time for breakfast. Even though I gave him warm water and Olbas Oil, and another type of medicine (at 7am), he still had chesty cough. Then his runny nose started. Sigh.

I'm so tired. I'm so disappointed he's sick again. I was in half a mind to have him stay home today but decided against it cos I didnt want to go through all that crying and "I dont want to go to school anymore". It's Friday anyway (shorter school hours) and I'll strictly quarantine him this weekend.

Its very tricky getting the right room temperature for him at nights. I've tried with air cond at 28C with light blanket, at 26C with light blanket, and with thicker blanket, switching on and off air cond at half hour intervals, no air cond with and without blanket....etc. He still sweats in the first one or two hours of falling asleep and I quickly change his pyjama shirt. Later in the night, he sometimes sweats again or he kicks off the blanket. I'm at wits end.

I've recently started giving him Scotts Emulsion, resumed his probiotics, increased his Vit C dosage, and a tumeric drink (high antioxidant and to stop phlegm). Perhaps his immune system is just at a rather low point, so it takes a longer time to see results.

I'm guessing that his immune system had taken quite a beating and had not fully recovered before being attacked by yet another virus. He's been sick once in Nov, once in Dec, twice in Jan and now three times in Feb.

Before this most recent cold, we had decided to give him the flu shot. But he didnt recover long enough (just 2 days cough free) for us to bring him for it.

I'm very reluctant to quarantine him for extended periods (like a mth or 2) in order for his immune system to recover. That would bring him back to square one with the separation anxiety. Also, that would bring us too close to the international school assessment date.

Please pray for speedy recovery, for stronger immune system, for good night's sleep for both my son and myself.

2 comments:

  1. Hi -- I hope you both have a good weekend and he makes a speedy recovery. It's very hard at that age because there is so much sickness among children as a whole. Take care!

    ReplyDelete