Thursday, February 17, 2011

He cried in school

Now that he's recovered, he's been attending school. However, for the first time, he cried yesterday.

He vomitted slightly yesterday at the school's car park. But I thought that it might be just some phlegm he was trying to clear or that he had too much wind in his tummy. He did wake up very late (8am)yesterday cos he slept late (9.30pm) the night before, so I hurriedly gave him his milk in 15mins. Perhaps he didnt have the chance to clear his phlegm after waking up. Perhaps he drank his milk too quickly. But I didnt think he was sick.

I briefly spoke to the teacher as I drove past her to pick him up yesterday, asking how he was (cos he vomitted), and she told me that he cried! She said it was during English, and that perhaps he felt he didnt know the words, but the teacher thought that he actually does. I didnt have time to get into details then as I was in the car, so I left it to be discussed today.

As I drove right up to the gate and saw him, he was crying again! Such a pitiful cry, with his mouth in an upside down U shape. Not howling. He continued crying in the car but stopped as I reached the house.

At home, when I asked him what happened, he started crying again. I comforted him and reassured him that I love him very much forever and ever.

Later, I asked him what happened. He took a while to reply, then said "I miss you". He couldnt elaborate.

Much later, I asked more specific closed questions like whether the teacher scolded him, or a friend did something to him. He said no. I asked what he was doing at the time he cried, but he didnt reply. It was very difficult getting info from him, so I left it. My husband also tried many times to find out from him, but couldn't.

Today, he woke a little late (7.45am) even though he went to bed at 8.45pm. I reckon it was because he didnt sleep between 3-4am. That's partly my fault due to my coughing.

He vomitted some of his milk at home. I think he was trying to clear some phlegm. Then he refused to go to school saying that he's not well. He said that he has phlegm. That was not a good enough reason to stay home, so we wore his uniform for him despite him protesting. My husband would have a fit if my son didnt attend school again.

I had to carry him from the car to his classroom. He clung on to me so tightly. He didnt want to get down despite seeing his friends play. I spoke to the teacher while I was still carrying him. Then he started crying.

He stopped after some comforting, and managed to put him down with the group of boys playing cards. The principal happened to walk in, and asked me what happened yesterday at the waiting room. While I was talking to her, he started crying again, and needed to be carried and pacified.

Eventually, teacher got the lesson started, and with some difficulty, managed to put him on the floor with the others. I walked out saying that I had to help him put his bag outside. Then the BM teacher talked to me, giving me the work that he missed out on during his absence.

I stayed briefly to see him but he saw me and started crying again. I had to walk away...with a heavy heart. I could hear him wailing loudly. My heart got heavier. If I stayed to pacify him or to take him home, he might never want to go to school on his own again. If I didn't do that, he might refuse going to school totally. Sigh.

As I drove my car out of the parking lot past the main gate, a teacher came to say that he vomitted all over his shirt. I told her that he has a spare change of clothes in his bag, and drove off. Sigh. It was hard to do that.

I had to return his library books today, so it was good that I wasn't stuck at home overly worrying about him. I still worried about him but committed him to the Lord to take care of him. It's now 11am, and the school has not called me, so I presume he's "under control".

I've still got to help him gain confidence in himself. I'm not sure how to help him report back to me things that happen or are bothering him. How do I help him cope in school?

No comments:

Post a Comment