Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Sick again

We’re back in KL and I can’t believe he’s sick again. He had just recovered from the stomach flu in time for the CNY flight. A few days later, he started showing cold symptoms – started off with a runny nose. I had brought his cough, fever, and diarrhoea medicines with us, so after a day or so of having a continuous runny nose, I started him on Clarinase and Promethazine.

He was active during the day, playing a lot with his cousins. But he found it hard to sleep through the night. It was tricky finding the right combination of factors affecting his body temperature - the air conditioning, the blanket, the right number of layers of clothing, his internal body temperature (was he “heaty” from the travel or “cold” from the unusually strong winds this year?). This resulted in him waking up in sweat a few nights in a row, and crying.

A few days before our flight back, he started having chesty coughs at night. It was especially bad upon waking. I was ready to bring him to the local hospital there for nebulizer (although I didn’t bring his Duovent and Pulmicort) but decided to monitor him instead. Luckily his symptoms didn’t deteriorate too much before our flight home.

We arrived home late Saturday evening and I brought him to the hospital for his nebulizer after dinner. He had another dose of nebuliser on Sunday night. He didn’t seem too bad on Monday so I skipped his nebuliser but he was having difficulty breathing (stuffed up nose) on Monday night. The entire Tuesday morning (4 hours!) was spent at the hospital waiting to see his paediatrician, waiting for his turn at the nebuliser, and waiting for his medicine (Prednisolone to open up his airways) to be dispensed.

He was absent (again!) from school Mon and Tues this week but we decided to send him today even though he hasn’t fully recovered. He was active during the day on Monday, and his cough seems to be more frequent at night. In the past, and again today when I spoke to her, the teacher encouraged me to send him to school unless he’s really, really sick. Also, they had a lion dance performance and class party today, which he was keen to attend.

My husband also caught a virus before we were due to fly back. He had a temperature, very sore throat and generally tired. I managed to hold off the virus until Sunday night cos I could rest when away for CNY. I think the worst of the symptoms is over for all of us, and are on the road to recovery.

My son will take some time for him to shake off the symptoms. Since he is a bit stronger than a few years ago, we will resume normal activity for him. However, it has now gone down to his lungs, and because his lungs are sensitive, I must still monitor my son closely.

No comments:

Post a Comment