Friday, February 4, 2011

Hoppity New Year

Here’s wishing all readers and their families celebrating Chinese New Year, Gong Xi Fa Chai. May you be blessed with good health, peace, and happiness.

My son recovered sufficiently from his stomach flu to catch the flight! Thanks to all who prayed for him and the advice given.

Since this is the year of the rabbit, I’ll also write about our adopted pet, a 1 year+ old rabbit, which joined our family around Sept 2010.

I stress that we adopted the pet and it was not bought. Our neighbour down the road had 2 rabbits. As the newer and younger rabbit grew larger, it became aggressive towards the older rabbit. It kept attacking the older rabbit and it got so bad that it bit off part of the other’s nostril. So, they had to give one away.

Seeing that my son has a gentle demeanour, they felt a rabbit would make a suitable pet as rabbits are very timid.

The rabbit was very warmly welcomed and immediately loved by all at home, including my helper. My son talked to him, wishing him good night, asking him how he is etc. My son also on occasion brushes his fur and strokes him.

I do agree with what’s written in the papers that rabbits are not low maintenance pets. I reckon they are lower maintenance compared to say dogs, but not exactly low maintenance.

There is lots of poo to clean up (my helper collects it for use as fertiliser), and its urine has a strong odour. Its nails require clipping which actually scares the poor creature. It gets to roam in the patio during the day and provided it’s not raining, it gets a free run in the garden in the evenings. It consumes quite a fair bit of rabbit food (contrary to popular believe, carrots are not a staple) so I bulk buy on trips to the pet shop. It also requires regular brushing to minimise hair balls in its digestive tract.

2 comments: