Friday, February 11, 2011

He's not getting better

He hasn't resumed normal activities. He didn't go back to school on Thursday or today, Friday.

Please pray for a speedy complete recovery for my son (and myself)...and for understanding that I too want him back to school asap....but not at the risk of picking up other viruses...or at the risk of him getting worse.



Thursday

Around 2am on Thursday morning, he woke and coughed. He had difficulty going back to sleep because he kept on coughing. I packed his bag and took him to the hospital for a dose of the nebuliser. We came back about 4am and after a drink of water, put him to bed.

He slept past 9am. He was obviously tired. After his milk, I brought him for his next dose of nebuliser at 10+am. I went to the nearby hawkers to pack some lunch home, and by the time we got back it was 12noon.

Then it was time to feed him again, shower him, give him his syrup medicines, get him to drink some water, and shower myself...there was a lot of fussing, stalling, and protesting along the way.

Finally got him down for a nap at 4.15pm...and he slept right through to 7.15pm. He was tired out. I napped shortly with him too as I needed it.

Then it was time again to feed him, shower him, give him his medicines, drink his water, his milk, change him into his pyjamas, and shower myself....all accompanied by the usual fussing etc. I brought him for his nebuliser at 10pm and got home about 11.30pm.

By bed time, I was pretty much looking forward to sending him back to school today. At that point, he wasn't getting worse or better. I understood the concern and desire to send him back to school asap. I would have welcomed the break myself, so that I can get on with my To Do list. It's much easier to clear my errands than it is to look after a sick child, so please believe me that I want him back to school asap too.

Friday

He didnt sleep well. He had his chesty cough several times in the night even though I switched off the air cond, and even though he didnt sweat.

Around 7.15am, he woke and had on and off chesty cough for a few minutes. Since it was still early, I thought I could squeeze in a nebuliser before school. I got his bag ready and headed to do a round of nebuliser. There were so many people at the hospital but were lucky to be called head of the rest.

Strangely, he was still coughing a lot after his nebuliser. Usually, he wouldn't be coughing for hours. It got me worried. He was already cranky, even before completing the nebuliser, wanting to go home.

His hands were freezing. I reckon he was very hungry. I didnt bring his milk along cos I thought I'd feed him at home and send him off to school. I wasn't going to make him wait several hours, on an empty stomach, to see his dr.

We got home at 8.30am, fed him his milk and some cereal, gave him his medicine, and had my breakfast. By 9.45am, I was unsure whether to send him to school late, or not. I monitored him for the next 30mins. His nose was excreting mucus - coloured and thick - every few minutes even though I clean it up with cotton buds each time. That was unusual.

When I picked him up from school on Wednesday, the lower half of his face was smeared with dried mucus (he's not efficient in wiping his nose). He only finished half his water (or spilled it). So with that in mind, I decided to keep him home from school today.

After this post, I'll bring him for another round of nebuliser and again tonight. I hope he'll take a long nap today too. He needs the rest. He needs lots of water. He needs Vit C. He needs a more patient mom! LOL

Tomorrow morning, I plan to wait it out at the dr's clinic because I think he's developed a secondary bacterial infection (coloured mucus) and requires antibiotics. Unfortunately, there's likely to be lots of people and noise in the hospital lobby as there's a lion dance scheduled tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment