Saturday, August 14, 2010

Pencil grip attachment

Just wanted to let others know that you can buy an attachment to help with the pencil grip (see photo). The ex-shadow aide mum told me about it earlier this year but I only bought it about 2-3 months ago.


I was worried that he might be overly reliant on it which was one reason I delayed buying it. But in the end I bought it because 3-4 months ago I wasn't seeing much progress in his handwriting skill.

Having used it, I find that it really does help him. He doesn't always use it when he writes cos I'm too lazy to switch it to his colour pencils or to remove it to bring to school. So I don't think he'll get dependent on it.

Last week however, I started bringing that pencil (with the grip) to school. I want to try to increase the frequency of using it because when it comes to learning motor skills, the frequency, intensity and duration are the key in helping brain injured kids. Maybe that will help him acquire the right grip in a faster time.

I still don't think he'll end up being overly reliant on it - he uses colour pencils without the grip and he sometimes wants to use normal pencils like his friends.

It's available in two sizes - small is about the right size for him. It's made of a material that feels like silicon so it's not slippery the way pencils might be. More importantly it's contoured to support the right pencil grip. It's suitable for use by both right and left handers.

It's sold in 1 Utama new wing but it's along the passage heading to old wing. The shop is on the Lower Grnd floor, opposite Roti Boy. It's easy to miss cos the shop sells nick-naks and novelty items. It's not the place you'd expect to find a pencil grip. I think it cost RM11. If you find one sold cheaper, do tell me.

2 comments:

  1. oh at 1 utama, ok, will try find it. by the how old is your kids?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi JMY
    Tq for leaving a comment. Remember to get the smaller size, ya. My son is 4yrs 8mths.

    ReplyDelete