Wednesday, August 4, 2010

On his wall - days and months

This is just to complete the series on the stuff that I’ve put up on his wall.



I had tried to teach him the days of the week when he was about 3 yrs old, but I was getting nowhere.

I’m very sure that attending kindergarten has helped in this aspect because he now knows it. Teacher writes the day and date on the whiteboard everyday and gets the kids to copy it on their workbooks daily. Earlier in the year, they also occasionally sang a song to help them remember the days of the week.

I also reinforced it by striking days off a calendar with him. So now that he does know the days, this chart will still be useful for him – I hope he’ll learn the spelling of the days.



This chart is actually placed below the window and since we’ve curtains, it’s not visible all the time. I’m running out of space but I’ll have to find a better place for it. I don’t like to blu tack it to the wall as the blu tack leaves a greasy imprint. So it's currently stuck on plastic corrugated board and leaning against the wall.

I’ve created it with numbers beside the months. It’s to help him understand the meaning behind the number that represents months when we write the date as dd-mm-yyyy.

To date, I’ve not done much to teach him the months apart from striking it off the calendar (which I've actuallyforgotten to do lately!), and marking up some special dates (e.g. birthdays) in a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment