Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Visit to a friend's kindergarten

Visit to a friend's kindergarten
(1) He could insert the montessori gradiated wooden blocks into the correct places, which surprised me. At home, we have plastic stacking beakers & he has trouble getting them into the correct order. (fine motor)

(2) A younger kid kept on distrubing him while he was playing with the montessori items. Finally, he got angry. He said "I pengsan" (& promptly fell down on his back). Asked why, he said "I'm angry" (& displayed the angry boday language) and pointed to the younger boy & then to himself & then to his toys. He was explaining that he was angry with the other boy for distrubing him while playing with the toys.

Later on, that boy was playing with wooden blocks. My son was next to him playing duplo blocks. When he saw the other boy built a tower, he promptly knocked it down! So much for teaching him to share! Guess that's somewhat a normal reaction. Actually, he wasn't seeking revenge. My son simply loves to knock down wooden blocks, even at home. I read that kids learn what happens when it gets knocked down (sound, reaction etc)...and I think it's more common in boys than girls. (social skills)

(3) I visited the place on my friends invitation to show me the resources she has in teaching the kids phonics/reading. I saw some of the Jolly Phonics material & montessori reading material. Hoping she'll be able to find & loan me her "Morris word book" so it'll be easier for me to prepare material for the Blue & Green series Montessori reading. (phonics, reading)

No comments:

Post a Comment