Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sight words

He is able to "read" these words by sight:

no
on
to
go
of
it
is
the
cat
dog
bus
for
stop
star

I've cut & paste (the manual way) several groups of words in the pink series, where the middle vowel isn't "a". E.g. rimes like "-et", "-ot" but have yet to introduce them to him. He is more accepting of the rime "-ab" group of cards now that I've introduced them for the 4th time. I will intersperse "matching picture & word" activities with more "matching word to object" activities.

I've been wondering if I should attend a Phonics Workshop on 5 Sept. I had signed up for it over a week ago but not paid the fees yet. It's meant for preschool teachers...well, I consider myself a homeschool teacher (half baked one!). I'm very keen to learn more games & activities to improve his word recognition skills, stated in the brochure as one of the objectives. I'm hesitating cos of the H1N1. He's only just getting well now. I wouldn't want to bring back germs even if it's not the H1N1 virus.

1 comment:

  1. Try playing a board gamed called Er-u-di-tion which incorporates sight words and phonics!

    Cards are categorized so children of all reading levels can play and learn together!

    ReplyDelete