Saturday, August 1, 2009

Reading to your child

I usually look out for the column in The Star newspaper written by Daphne Lee. She reviews children's books from young kids to teenagers, hence the title of her column, "Tots to Teens". Two Saturdays ago, she wrote a useful article on How To Choose Books. This is in the context of reading out aloud to kids, rather than leaving the child to read it on his own.

I'm including this on my blog because there are just so many books in the market and with the various tempting warehouse sales in the past few months (and 2 more sales this weekend), it'll be helpful to have some sort of guide in mind before purchasing the books.

The link is below (not sure how long it'll be posted on The Star's website): How to Choose Books:
http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?file=/2009/7/19/lifebookshelf/4320911&sec=lifebookshelf



Last Saturday, she suggested some books for reading aloud. I found it useful too, because she included follow up activities & not just provide a review of the books. One of the books she did review was "The Gruffalo", (which was a gift from a friend - thanks Elly!) which my son & I enjoy. It's just so funny & richly illustrated. It exposes him at an early stage to rhyming too.

The link: What Should I Read to My Kids:
http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?file=/2009/7/26/lifebookshelf/4365747&sec=lifebookshelf

No comments:

Post a Comment