Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Montessori Reading Pink Series


I've reworked a few of the Pink Series Picture & Word cards to make it larger. Think he's more comfortable with this size. Later as he progresses & is more confident, I'll make it smaller.

Last week we played with the set where words end with "-at" (e.g. cat, bat, hat) and the "-en" series (e.g. den, hen, pen). He was able to recognise words in the "-at" series without needing my help, which is great! I think that's cos he's familiar with those words by now. Had introduced them to him some months ago, in a different format, before I learnt of the Montessori method.

For the "-en" series, he needed me to prompt him to say the phonic sound, which he can say & then he blends it himself & comes out with the word & matches it on his own. But he's not confident of himself. So I give him the feedback he needs along the process. Given that he can recognise the "-at" series without going through the process of sounding out & blending gives me hope that with practice, he'll be fine (at least with the pink series words). I simply need to be more creative to play phonic games in different ways!

2 days ago, we played with the "-ag" and "-ab" series. These words are not familiar in the sense that it's not used in daily conversation (except for "bag") & in the sense of the written word. For eg. we say "taxi" not "cab" and he insisted on naming that picture "taxi", not "cab". He wasn't keen on playing with these cards compared to the "-at" set. That's ok for now. Just need to introduce those words more often, in different phonic games.

No comments:

Post a Comment