Sunday, August 23, 2009

NeuroSuit progress - end of Week 3

He probably wore the NeuroSuit for only one or two days this week. He was sick for most of this week. He's recovering well now, but his dr had advised to continue the nebuliser, with lesser frequency until Tuesday.

I've been observing his movements more this week, as I've done a lot less activities with him. Here's what I noted:

He's a lot more flexible in his movements.
He's been squatting more & for longer periods each time. He's able to lift up his leg with it at 90 degrees at the hip, or 90 degrees at the knee. He no longer lifts up his leg with both arms stretched outward for balance, looking like he's about to do a cartwheel! He's faster at getting out of the car by himself.

He can finally step over gaps by himself. He's been happily walking by himself on the steps I made using the foam alphabets puzzle pieces. In the past, he'd always want to hold an adults hand while stepping up and crossing over to the next stack. This was an objective set by his HUKM physiotherapist many months ago which we had a hard time achieving.

He is going up the 2 steps to his bedroom at one foot for each step, without needing to hold the wall. He cant do it coming down one foot on each step yet. But he can come down two feet on each step without holding the wall if both his hands are occupied (e.g. holding onto a toy).

He's walking & running gait is getting odd
In the past even though his gait was not normal, you could see a certain rhytm to it. Now, his gait is not smooth anymore. It seems like the placing of his leg/foot is not as automatic. He's getting into toe-walking again especially his problematic right foot. He seems to be losing his balance & tripping up more. We will start him on the suit later this week, when he's recovered more.

Speech
He's far more chatty. I love it! He'll never be a chatterbox, but he's come far in terms of expressive speech. He has his frustrations when I dont understand what he's trying to say - we're still working on pronounciation. Great to get peeks into what's going on in his mind. Wish I could remember the stuff he says so I could document them here.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I have been trying to read all your posts, with a hope to find something that will add up to my knowledge or skill as a mom of a CP son.

    You mentioned that you go to HUKM, may I know do you still go there? I go to HUKM 2 times a week, if will be great if I have the opportunity to meet you there and ask you few questions about the neuro suit.

    Hope to hear from you....Thanks.

    Best regards
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenny
    Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been having such bad internet connections the last 2 weeks.

    Thanks for reading my posts. Hope you found something useful that helps your son.

    No, we stopped going to HUKM for quite a long time now cos I didnt see progress. But when I started Neurosuit, we very quickly achieved the objective that the HUKM physio set.

    You may email me your questions on Neurosuit at humbledmum@gmail.com or, directly send your questions to the neurosuit therapist, Adnan - adnanasgerali@yahoo.com

    Rgds

    ReplyDelete