Saturday, August 29, 2009

Homemade Sequencing Activity

Over the past few days I've been thinking up new homemade games/activities for my son. Most were related to teaching him phonics. But as I happened to look at this series of photos I took a few days ago, I thought they would be great for a sequencing activity.

I thought these photos would be good because it's something he had experienced himself. I had twice played a sequencing activity based on 2 series of photos, obtained from the internet, but I didn't think he quite got it. So, with this being something he can relate to, hopefully he'll understand the idea of sequence.

Sequencing is an important pre-math skill and also related to literacy. Here's what I understand about sequencing in terms of literacy skills: after having been read a story, the child should be able to tell you what was at the beginning, middle and end of the story.

I got these photos printed out, cut & pasted on pieces of cardboard. I then told him the story using the photos. He was indeed happy to see the photos, remembering his ride & said "horse carriage".

Photo 1: The carriage is brought out

Photo 2: The horse is led to the carriage.

Photo 3: The carriage is mounted on to the horse.

Photo 4: The driver gets on to the front of the carriage. (I lack the vocabulary, so called him the driver)


Photo 5: The passangers get on.

No comments:

Post a Comment