Friday, December 24, 2010

Science activity - sink or float

This was a quick and simple science activity during the holidays.

I first saw it on my friend's blog (thanks for the idea Yvonne) many months ago, but never had the time to get round to do it.

I just used objects I found around the house, with a mix of large and small items, those that'll float and those that'll sink.

He loved throwing the stuff in cos it'd make a splash or "kerplunk" sound!


But before throwing it in, I'd ask him to predict whether it'd sink or float, and I'd make a guess too.

I was trying to introduce to him that in science experiments, you'd make a prediction, then test it out, and compare the results.

Most times, he predicted wrongly, which is fine cos it wasn't about getting it right (not at his age anyway), but about taking part in an experiment and what is an experiment all about. Btw, I some of my predictions were wrong too! LOL
I also prepared a chart for him to record the findings. Recording one's findings is also part of an experiment.

But I also realised it was useful to teach him how to use or read a chart. By this I mean reading a row and column in order to find the right place to place the tick mark.

And, no I'm not kiasu on this aspect cos his kindergarten workbook had two pages that needed him to understand how to use a chart. He needs more practice on this as you can see he initially chose the wrong column or row to record the outcomes. But as usual, I've a lot of things for him to learn and right now, this low on my priority list.



I also did this activity to break from the usual activities which are more therapy based and from the lots of craft work we did lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment