Thursday, October 7, 2010

Speech therapy - 6 Oct 2010

He had his speech therapy today. It’s been 4 mths since his previous session.

I prayed for a good session where he’d readily speak. In the past it was difficult to get him to talk during the session. I wanted him to talk freely the way he does with me at home. I wanted her to experience that so that she has a more accurate picture, so that she could give a more accurate assessment, and so that she would be able to write a more positive report should his future school require one.

Prayer answered! Thank you God! He did well at therapy. He didn’t speak as much as he does at home, but it’s a whole lot better than in past sessions. He spoke in short sentences and longer phrases. In the past it was mostly one word answers or short phrases. It was also much easier to elicit responses from him.

One of the games that we played was like a game of broken telephone. The therapist would whisper a sentence to my son while I turned away and had my ears closed. Then he was to tell me what she said. For most of the time, I understood him. Then it was reversed, where I whispered to him, and he repeats it to the therapist. Most of the time, she understood too! In all there were probably 6-8 sentences, and with roughly 90% accuracy in repeating what was whispered, I’m very happy and so was she.

She noted the following in terms of physical appearance: he’s more stable; his response time is faster; his core is stronger. In terms of speech: he doesn’t strain or exert energy to talk; there’s improvement in clarity. I attribute all that to the intensive Neurosuit therapy that he’s undergone – thanks Adnan and Fezia.

We didn’t get to discuss much cos my son needed 3 toilet breaks (one to pee, twice to poo) which took put some time. I did ask her opinion about VitalStim therapy and I’m unlikely to pursue that therapy. She’ll be attending Caroline Bowen’s workshop, so she’ll be sharing some of the things that she’ll learn which applies to my son’s case (I decided not to attend the workshop cos I don’t trust my current helper in caring for my son for a full day without me).

Next session will be in 3 months’ time but I may schedule it in Dec just before the start of a new academic year. My speech therapy homework til then is to target accuracy of the c, k, g sounds. Accuracy of the other sounds (r and l) can wait as he’s only just turning 5.

We've got to where we are now by achieving small steps forward. But nowadays, it’s very hard to attain his co-operation in various activities, therapy based or otherwise. Please, please pray for wisdom and God’s healing to achieve this target. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment