Thursday, October 21, 2010

Neurosuit Physiotherapy Progress

There were very few days of therapy over the last 2-3 weeks cos his therapist was helping other kids overseas. That gave both my son and I a breather from the intensity of his physio programme. I did a lot of errands and planned ahead for the upcoming school holidays.

Just prior to that 2-3 weeks, I felt that it was getting too difficult for my son to do several of the exercises. I think that break helped him as it allowed him to rest. Perhaps that’s also why it was recommended to have a 2 week break for every 8 week intensive therapy stretch.

This week’s sessions have been great so far. Really great! Some of the exercises that were very hard for him just 3 weeks ago have become just “a bit hard” (his words).

Some of the improvements noted this week:

- More often than not, his feet are still in one spot (previously, he’d need to keep his feet moving around, often stepping on my toes many times!)

- He’s able to stretch his hamstrings effortlessly so much so that it’s almost like a ballerina’s split

- When lying down, he can raise his legs up easily

- When sitting down with legs in front of him (long sitting), he can touch his toes easily (sad to say, I can’t do that!)

- He is beginning to engage his arm muscles a bit more

- The muscles at his shoulder blades and the back of his neck are no longer tight (observed during CST session yesterday)

- His loud voice has returned!

Yesterday in class, I noticed that his handwriting had suddenly improved so much! He was practising writing for his spelling test. He wrote the words “rob” and “sob” within the blue lines of the exercise book all by himself, without needing me to place my hand on his. I noticed there was good flexibility and control although he was writing it slowly. Unfortunately, I am still having problems uploading photos on blogger, so I can’t share it with you.

There are still many other areas to work on, for example:

- He needs to engage the various muscles so he doesn’t keep sliding off the chair when he’s seated down

- Gluteus muscles not engaging

- Lower quad muscles need to be stronger

- Biceps and triceps not engaging enough and not strong

- He has winged shoulder blades

- His left arm and hand tends to rotate outwards

- His left hand is clenched often

- All 10 fingers need to be stronger

- Finger isolation not yet achieved

- No heel strike on his right foot when he runs, but fine when walking

- Running gait still funny

- Toes of right foot still sometimes curled

Yes, he has many more challenges to overcome in the future, but he has improved so much since starting the intensive Neurosuit therapy! I believe there were two key “ingredients”: the right therapist, and the intensity of the Neurosuit sessions.

These few days of improvements have made me so happy. Thank you, thank you, thank you, dear God. And thank you all for your prayer support! Thank you Fe for your dedication!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Kristy.... It's your commitment and CS effort that drives me :-) . Wonderful to see him try so hard and his delightful smile when something is "easy peasy" is heart warming. I know I push him but I'll keep trying to bring in some fun elements as best as I can, so it wont be so hard.

    ReplyDelete