Monday, October 18, 2010

My invisibility super power

There's only a month left in the school year. Not much time indeed for him to practice his self care skills, school readiness, social skills etc.

About 2 or 3 weeks ago, I spoke to his teacher about my son doing without a shadow aide. She was agreeable to it, but she suggested we only start after the concert is over. Her reason being that she'll need a teacher's aide assigned to help her in the class if I'm not going to be his shadow aide, and the teacher's aides are all currently very busy with the daily concert practices.

I'd have to talk to the principal about it of course, to obtain her approval. Please pray for a positive outcome from talking to the principal.

Pls also pray that he copes well without me, and for the teacher to be able to give a positive report on my son (before he moves on to another class next year). This is also part of my planning ahead, in case his Primary school asks for a report from his kindergarten.

His teacher thinks he'll be fine without me, and that she'll be able to cope. But I wanted a "trial run period" to see how things might be. I didn't want to just disappear and really not know what happens.

So, I decided to invoke my invisibility super power! After I spoke to the teacher about it, I backed away even more than before from my son.

I tried to limit helping him to the times when he needed to go to the toilet, when there's a page of writing, when he clearly struggled with his water tumbler, opening/closing his food container, during computer time, helping him up the stairs to the stage for concert practice...

Doesn't sound much does it? But then, there are the littlest things that frustrate him or that requires a lot more practice, like...
...remembering what to do when he arrives in class cos he gets excited and wants to join his friends(remove water tumbler, pencil case, and homework folder, then find somewhere to place them, zip back the backpack, place backpack on rack, and remember to pick up those things to bring into class). Since this is quite a bit for him to remember, I do give verbal cues.

...zipping and unzipping his backpack. He's getting better at it. But when it's dismissal time and the bell rings, he gets too excited and fumbles too much.

...keeping his food container in his backpack

..."arranging" other kids bags on the rack so he has place for his bag

...inserting the exercise books into his homework folder

...learning social skills

...learning when he's not wanted (he got pushed, had his hand thumped, had his head butted by a girl!)

So you see, although he has come a long way, I still worry about how he'd cope.

I wonder whether he'd get to practice those skills or whether the teacher's aide would end up doing it for him if she runs out of patience.

Only one way to find out! To borrow a tag line: Just Do It

1 comment:

  1. At the rate he has been progressing, I have no doubts about CS. You too need to let go :-) Just do it, he'll be fine and surprise everyone!!

    ReplyDelete