Saturday, July 9, 2011

Things he's revealing

Of late, there have been a few remarks from my son that threw me.

Perhaps it's because I've slowed things down now that both of us need to rest, and therefore, perhaps, there's time for both of us to talk about other stuff (not just maths and phonics and practising his fine motor skills, and therapy).

Recognising cars
I've been getting him involved when I flip through the papers. I think his teacher talks to the kids about major news events sometimes, so I thought it might be timely to start opening up his world.

Most of the time though, he's far more interested in photos that have vehicles, whether it's a photo accompanying an article or an advert. Recently, there was a car offered as a grand prize in a contest advertised in the papers. The photo was in black and white. As it was grainy and partially blocked by another object, I couldnt tell the make of the car.

But my dear son could. I humoured him by playing along that he was right, because I really couldn't tell. Then when I flipped a page or two after, there was that car in the same profile, but the photo was larger and in colour. And it was that brand he that said it was. I dont know how he does it sometimes.

Hybrid
Another time, I was getting him to read the caption below the photo of a car because he didnt know what model it was. It was a Lexus Hybrid, which isnt common on the roads here, which explains why he's not familiar with it. When I spelt out "hybrid" (because the print was tiny), he immediately said "...like, like, like, like that Prius and Insight. They are hybrid cars, right?"

Yes, he was right. He loves spotting Honda Insight and Toyota Prius cars on the road. Although I did talk to him about what's special about those cars, I didnt think he'd remember the word "hybrid" as it's word hardly used.

Car number plates
He's so switched on even though he's just sitting in his car seat while I'm driving through traffic. On two or three occassions, he spotted a car that had the same last two digits as my car, and would tell me so.

Zero gravity
I'm glad that he's not just remembering stuff about cars, or just stuff I'm telling him.  He seems to remember stuff from school too. One day I was talking about clouds being tiny water droplets, and how they become rain, and fall to the ground (which I've talked to him about before). He then interjected and said "there's zero gravitiy in space right? And water will float, float, float...that's so funny". I think school had been on the space theme cos some of his spelling test words tie in to that theme.

I am really glad that he's learning in school. At the last Parents Teacher's Meeting, his class teacher told us that he's "above average" but at the back of my mind, I wondered if that remark came about because I had been coaching him so much in maths and phonics. Now, I know that he is learning stuff in school too, not just stuff I'm teaching him.

Stones & camera
Before my surgery, I explained to him the what, how and why it had to be done, in simple terms. When I told him that I had stones in my gallbladder, his immediate reaction was "WHAAAAAAAT??? It must be outside!!!" I thought it was so funny. He found it strange that there were stones inside my body, when stones are usually on the ground, in the garden, outside. He then asked how it got inside, and I explained it to him.

After the surgery, I showed him the 3 scars on my abdomen. He asked why there were three. Luckily, my husband had asked that prior to my son asking, so I had the chance to ask my Dr. I told him that one was for a tiny camera at the end of a hose, to go inside me. Again, his immediate reaction was "WHAAAAAAT??? It must be outside!!!". Ah, yes, it would be very odd to a 5 year old wouldn't it, to have a camera inside your body. LOL

I'll send you home
He said something very odd this morning. Something that was not nice at all. I was finishing off my breakfast, while he was riding his scooter as usual. My helper was in the dining area. Then he got cranky (he is sick with fever and diarrohea) and kept on saying angrily "...(mumble)...I'll send you home!" in the general direction of my helper.

I was in shock. My husband and I have never said that. Not in his presence or when he's not around. I suspect my sister might have said it to my helper in his presence. My sister is intellectually challenged and does give us challenges to face every now and then, especially with regard to the helper. There is no point quizzing my sister as she'll just clam up or deny everything.

I explained things to my son. Later, after I related it to my husband, he quizzed our son but he just said that came up with it himself.

So tonight, I'm yet again reminded that I've to be very careful of my words and action. We are role models for him.

When I'm so worn out from him being sick 4 times in the last 5-6 weeks, plus needing the rest myself after my surgery (thankfully it was minor!), it's really hard to be a good role model.

No comments:

Post a Comment