Monday, July 11, 2011

Learning while using AeroChamber

I've written in the past about using a device called the AeroChamber. I've now inserted a picture of a boy using it.



To use it, I've to press the Ventolin inhaler (that grey thing at the back of the AeroChamber), then wait 30 seconds for him to have inhaled in the medicine. Then repeat that 3 more times.

He had to use it rather frequently in the past 5-6 weeks. At one stage, it was as frequent as every 2 hours (excluding when he's asleep).


What came about as a way for me not to lose track of how many puffs he's had (easy to lose focus when I'm lacking sleep), turned out to be an opportunity for him to learn counting, language, pitch & rhythm!
Here's what I did:

Counting
- simple counting from 1 to 30 (cos 30 secs for each puff to be fully inhaled)

- reinforced his understanding of skip counting by 2s & odd/even numbers. I'd say the odd numbers, and he'd say the even numbers.

Language
- He needs 4 puffs, so his 1st puff of 30seconds worth was counted out loud in English, 2nd puff in Bahasa, 3rd puff in Mandarin, 4th was back to English. He's not good in BM & Mandarin as we dont speak it at home, so it was a good opportunity for him to learn.

Pitch
- to vary the activity and make it a bit more fun, I said the even numbers in varying pitches (either high or low) and he'd to follow that pitch when he said the even numbers.

At first, he didnt get it. So I used hand gestures/body language as a visual guide. If I said an even number in a high pitch, I'd raise my hand and head up slowly as I said it & vice versa.

Later when he got it, I made it more tricky by doing a single bigger number (say 23) in a pitch that rises then drops, all within that same number. He had fun with this!

Rhythm
- that's just saying it fast or saying it very very very slowly.

No comments:

Post a Comment