Friday, July 8, 2011

Recovering

My keyhole surgery last Thurs was successful - gallbladder removed, hernia fixed and adhesions removed (a 3-in-1 surgery!). I was discharged on Sat after 2 nights. I had my follow up this morning, and stitches removed. Dr said it looked good and next follow up is in 3 week's time.

That's a relieve for me and it means that my husband can go on his holiday peacefully. He had taken care of our son when I was in hospital. My son was down with fever and a cough a few days before my operation and I was concerned about him.

After my discharge, on that very Sat night, my son started having a fever again. I suspect that he might have caught another virus from visiting me at the hospital, before he had fully recovered from the previous flu/cold. But his fever subsided on Sunday and was back to school on Monday and Tuesday.

That allowed me a bit of rest and to cook proper meals, while he was in school. I also managed to do some light groceries on those two days at the nearby supermarkets, with the help of their staff and my sister to lift the bags. The food shopping simply had to be done as there was very little meat in the freezer and no veg. My stock had run down because my son and I took turns falling ill in the 3 weeks prior to the surgery!

However, he started having a fever again on Wed night. It was quite high this time round, and it kept coming up again after the paracetamol and Voltaren wore off. He stayed away from school since Thurs. He vomitted his lunch and a bit later had bad diarohea, on Thurs itself. He might have caught a stomach virus.

He's been on paracetamol and/or Voltaren to bring down the fever every 4-8 hours. He's been on Ventolin (using the AeroChamber) regularly for the past 1-2 weeks. Just stopped running to the hospital for his nebuliser today (partially because I'm so tired & partially because he might have caught the new virus from the hospital). He's taken Smecta last night and this morning to stop the runs. He woke up at midnight crying from stomach pains, so gave him Buscopan to relax the spasms and Gaviscon, in case it's gastric (didnt take milk so might have been hungry) and paracetamol for the fever which spiked again. He's also on Zyrtec or Clarintyne day time and Prometazine (nights) for his runny nose.

Luckily it was a minor surgery and I had been able to care for my sick son during my recovery. Even though the Dr says things look good, I am still cautious. I do not want to exert myself because I do not know how things look internally.

Right now, I just wish my son would recover really fast and fully. It would be nice to be able to rest a bit more. I was too tired, cranky, worried and uncomfortable the first few days after discharge. So I've decided to TRY and take things easy.

I've given up on managing the maid as she was a huge stress factor. I've cooled down on helping him revise his maths (maths test coming up soon - if he fails, then he'll just resit the entire module again, all 3 months worth of lessons). I've cooled down on getting him to do fine motor practice (handwriting, grip strengthening), gross motor (stopped physiotherapy), and self care practice (buttoning, showering, changing clothes, self feeding etc). I know that there will be consequences. He'll regress and I'll lose time. It's only 2.5 months to go before he starts big boy school. That's why it is hard to take it easy. That's why I say I'll try. Just wish I had more support in those areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment