Monday, May 2, 2011

Progress in his pedalling

Lately I feel more like my "old self". He's been having more activities outside the house compared to the earlier months this year - physio therapies, art & craft, etc.

About 3 Sundays ago, I started bringing him to the park in the mornings to pedal. In that first outing, I could see how he had "regressed" a bit in his pedalling ability. It was because I had stopped all physical activities for too long (4-5mths).

With his disability, hard earned progress is lost when the frequency and intensity is stopped.

However, I took heart by what his therapist had said a long time ago: It might be a case of 5 steps forward, 2 steps back, but he's still gained 3 steps forward.

We went to the Taman Tun park today cos I wanted a change of scenery from his ususal cycling venue of Desa ParkCity.

I am so happy with today exercise! He has definitely gained back what he has lost, and then some!

He mostly pedalled by himself, the entire path around the lake, with only minimal pushing from me. He also managed to pedal the fastest ever, and maintained that speed for quite a long distance.

I think he was feeling proud of his ability, for I certainly told him how impressed I was with him, and how proud I was.

He didnt want to stop at that one round, around the lake. He wanted to take on another path, the outer path that went uphill which was far more challenging. I was game for it as I certainly didnt want to put a damper on his enthusiasm.

I pushed him most of the way up the incline, but he did try his best, even to the extent of using his "power sounds".

Half way up, between the bottom of the slope and the condo, I wanted to take a break to rest but he told me "Don't give up. Keep trying. I will help you be strong and healthy"! I laughed! He was indeed helping me to be stronger cos I was pushing him uphill.

The last bit about being strong and healthy was not an original thought from him. I had several times in the past explained that exercise, sleep and proper nutrition were important elements to be strong and healthy. I'm glad that he had internalised it.

In the past I had also made a deal with him, that I won't give up helping him if he himself doesn't give up and keeps trying. I wonder if he remembered that. So I agreed to continue pushing him uphill as he was still trying his best to pedal uphill.

Nearing the condo, I had to stop. I was knackered. I told him I had to stop as I couldn't go on pushing him anymore. He still wanted to continue but relented when he tried with all his might to pedal on his own strength. I love that determination of his!

Just to put his pedalling progress in context, about a year ago, he wouldn't even have made it half way round the lake. Back then, he couldn't maintain the momentum (no stamina and strength) and would have required me to push start him many times in that short distance.

It may be a case of 5 steps forward, 3 steps back....but regaining that lost 2 steps was faster than I expected. His strength and stamina are definitely improving, with daily physiotherapy sessions (weekdays). That determination of his, if applied to other areas in his life, will get him far.

No comments:

Post a Comment