Thursday, May 19, 2011

His field trip

At the end of every term, his kindergarten organises a field trip. Two Fridays ago, they went to the Animal Kingdom at the Mines.

He was a bit worried about the trip, a few days beforehand and on the day itself. He said that he was worried about the bus going over bumps on the road. I think he was a bit scared going on a big bus without me. I assured him that the bus driver would be very careful because there were so many young kids on board.

I was a bit worried too, but just a bit. I was concerned about his toileting needs, if he'd remember to drink enough water and if he'd vomit during lunch. My husband was worried that he end up not eating anything for lunch.

He managed to poo before leaving the house that morning, so I knew then that he'd be alright. I packed two sets of clothes (t-shirt, shorts, underwear, socks, and handkerchiefs) just in case there was a toileting accident or vomitting. I packed a snack in case he vomitted his lunch. As for drinking his water, I asked teacher to remind him to do so. And with my concerns addresses as best I could, I went about my morning as normal, without worrying about him.

It was good to hear that he enjoyed himself. It was his first field trip without me. Last year, he missed the first trip due to illness, and he went for the second trip with mummy tagging along (upon teacher's request).

He told me the various animals he saw - a black & white tiger, peacock, parrot, a sun bear, turtles - and that the snake he touched (he said he squeezed it) felt like rubber. I was very pleased that he remembered the animals that he saw!

It was hard understanding him when he was naming the animals (as I had no point of reference) and he often got frustrated with me! I know I've got to be more diligent on doing the oral motor exercises.

He said that he ate all his nuggets (they had McD's Happy Meal for lunch) and didnt vomit. Hurray! That entitled him to a sticker as a reward! I was pleased because that was the first time he ate without me around, in front of his teacher and friends, used his fingers, and finished it all!

A few months earlier, I was having issues getting him to eat his snack during snack time in class. I think he was put off because he vomitted a few times during snack. Teacher was also putting a bit of pressure on him to eat, for the right reasons (to avoid gastric) but in a manner that backfired. He ended up refusing to eat any snack. That's a different story, for another time.

On the following Monday, I checked with teacher on some facts (albino tiger?) and how he was. She said he was fine, and that she was surprised he managed to walk the whole trip. That's my son - if he's interested, he'll walk and walk and not feel tired.

Here's to more enjoyable field trips in the future...and his growing confidence!

No comments:

Post a Comment