Saturday, September 11, 2010

Photos of chalkboard and whiteboard activity

Another "less often" played with item - the chalkboard, made it's appearance. He entertained himself while I cooked lunch.

When I popped to check on him, I saw this. He didn't reply when I asked him what it was.

After I had set the table and went in to get him, he was still at it and there were a few more letters. Anyone care to enlighten me on what you see? I mean, apart from the words ben and hen.


He now likes to play teacher (pretends to be the teacher, teaching me). I quite like it cos I get to see what he has learnt.

After I did some simple sums (e.g. 2-2=0, 3-3=0) with him, it was his turn with the whiteboard marker. He wrote out the sum 6+7=. Then he got stuck cos he didn't know the answer! LOL.

Actually, I think he wanted to write the sum 6-6. But he's getting a bit confused with + and -. Then with that confusion, the 7 came up instead of 6. I helped him work out that sum using the "counting on" method (ie count 6 more starting from 7).

Since he ended up with an addition sum, I wanted to reinforce the "commutative law" for addition. Put simply, commutative law means for e.g. 6+7=7+6, and 2+3=3+2. He could easily write the correct answer for 7+6.

I'm also teaching him even numbers / skip counting by 2s. He knows 2,4,6,8,10 very well because of the Team Umizoomi song at the end of the show. But I wanted to extend that to 20. So, I did it this way, as a join the dots activity. (It's also good for fine motor practice).

After that, he wanted control over the whiteboard! I got the hint that he had enough, so I gave him free reign. See photo below for what he decided to do...

It was time to let loose, so I joined in the fun and added two front teeth, dots for the eyeballs and nostrils. Looks like something from Spongebob.

Can you see he wanted to be teacher again, and copied my "join the dots" activity? It's just to the bottom right of the star. He drew dots/dashes in blue (looks like a cresent moon), and numbers at different parts. Funny boy! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment