Monday, February 22, 2010

Sad

I've been sad and worried lately because the progress that we made in my son's development has been lost to some extent:

- he's not sitting 90 degrees (that took many months of gross motor and CST work to achieve)

- he's walking stride has shortened (that took many weeks of Neurosuit activities to achieve)

- he's drooling a lot, and more often (that involves a lot of oral motor work)

- his posture when running is more akward (that was after months of Neurosuit)

I believe the regression happened because we stopped gross motor, fine motor, oral motor activities, Neurosuit activities over the last 3 mths. During that 3 mths he was sick at least 4 times (some episodes milder than others) so Neurosuit activity was stopped. Also, to a great extent, I was busy with errands, with reorganising stuff at home, with learning and making new activities for him.

The feedback that I got recently (from more than one person) was that I was far too focused on my son, and that I should relax more. So, over the last month, while my aunt was here, I hardly did anything with my son. I saw to the errands and household administrative matters, lots of cleaning up, tidying up, preparing for my helper's departure, and more recently with Chinese New Year, I ate a lot and rested more.

But, as a result my poor son's development has suffered....or perhaps I should say that as a result, I've got a tough road ahead over the next 6 mths or so:

- My new helper doesnt speak my language and I dont speak her language. I'll have to spend a lot of time to teach her things

- She's new and so would be of limited help in caring for my son compared to my existing helper. My helper feeds him. She plays with him when I need to take care of admin or when I need some sleep.

- It'll be even harder to get back the progress lost because I've far less time to do those activities now that he's in school

- I've additional aspects to deal with ie. social skills and school readiness skills (for which I've no one to consult on the screaming and running around issues)

- I also want to start a new therapy with him (hyperbaric oxygen therapy)

Talk about having a mountain to climb! I feel mine's a slippery mountain because there's the risk of losing (hence "slippery") all the hard work. I guess that's why parents with special needs kids need lots of support.

I feel guilty. I feel bad. I feel like crying. Perhaps I should not have listened to other people. I should have followed my gut instinct and just kept going with my son.

I was struggling internally with this matter. Now that I've written it down and faced my fears, I shall try not to cry over spilt milk. It's not a pity party but a lot of worry and fear. I have to look forward. I have to be positive. But I honestly do not know how I'll cope in the next few months. What I do know is that I've to keep turning to God for help. With God, all things are possible.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would not be able to, for a moment, imagine what it's like to be in your shoes. There's no way that I can truly understand what your challenges are either - but I can honestly tell you that how you have been working with your son and also taking care of yourself, is nothing short of inspiring.

    Hope you're feeling more at peace now and ready to tackle life head on, with His strength. :) Virtual hugs from me and baby bump.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Positive words of encouragement certainly brighten up my day... and the days following that! : D

    I did feel better after crying out to Him (after writing that post). And I am working up to going full speed again with my son. He's indeed my strength!

    ReplyDelete