Tuesday, February 23, 2010

His latest "toy" - the phone

He's discovered a new "toy". He's been playing with our house phone over the past 2-3 days.

He was with my helper when for the first time, out of his own initiative, he picked up the receiver, said "Hello, I'm (he said his name). Who are you? asdkfjaksdfoieruaweroaiuad (babble), Bye bye." and hung up!

I know that's no big deal for a normal kid. But to me, it's one of the many recent tiny developments that show that he's growing up.

There have been many small incidents like this example, but because I was busy, I didnt record it down and now I've forgotten them. I usually go to speech therapy, ready to give feedback with specific examples of his speech development but I wont be able to next round.

Today, I helped him to dial Papa's number. That was also with the motive of helping him to memorise Papa's number in case of emergencies. Papa's number is a lot easier to memorise compared to mine and since I'm with him most of the time, it should be Papa's number that he memorises.

Luckily, Papa wasnt in a meeting and didnt get angry for being disturbed in the office! Papa was very happy that he could hear what was said (ie. his voice was loud enough even though it sounded soft to me). Papa also understood what was said, but that was because Papa is spending more time with his son, rather than any great improvement in the clarity of my son's speech.

Well, that little incident cheered me up today. Shortly before calling Papa, I helped him to dial my mobile number several times, just for fun. He loved it! And so did I.

I'm also very glad that Papa is having more Father-son quality time. It relieves me for a bit so I can shower, or see to bits of admin etc. It'll be even more important in the months ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment