Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Sick, sick, sick

My son and I seem to be taking turns in falling ill recently.

3 Sundays ago, he was down with fever and a cold and recovered sufficiently to attend the second round of assessment later that week.

2 Sundays ago, it was my turn to fall ill. I had stiff neck, body aches and fever. The aches gradually became more painful so much so that I couldnt stand up at night to walk over to check on my son. Blood test was done and it ruled out dengue and bacterial infection. So reckon it was a bad virus attack. I've recovered since.

Now, it's my son's turn to fall ill again. He had a fever last weekend and started coughing. He's now on anti-histamines (Zyrtec & Rhinatiol/Promethazine) and using the AeroChamber (with Ventolin) every 2 hours.

I was told off by his paediatrician yesterday for not being aggressive enough in treating his cough symptoms! Apparently I should have started him on Ventolin (using the AeroChamber) the moment he starts coughing. Sigh. He never told me that before. Anyway, Dr said his lungs are clear and that he's fighting off the virus himself. No sore throat.

I had thought that he told me to start on the anti-histamines the moment he starts coughing. And that usually works to arrest the coughing quite quickly. I think this time round, he had one too many consecutive nights of poor sleep and kicking off the blanket. So, it deteriorated too quickly.

Anyhow, I'm also taking him for nebuliser at the hospital twice a day now. It'll taper down as he gets better, as will the frequency of the Ventolin.

I've a minor operation scheduled (for myself) tomorrow. I'm a bit worried for myself and for my son. This will be the first time I'll be sleeping without my son. I'm hoping my husband will be able to care for him (especially now that he's sick). As I'm the stay at home mum, my husband tends to be rather hands off. But as I'll be hospitalised for just 2 days, 1 night, it isn't so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment