Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Second round of school assessment

As mentioned in a previous posting, he sat for an assessment last month. Two weeks ago, we were told to come in again, because the principal would like to see him, for an interview.

He had his second round of assessment today, except that I wasn't expecting him to be assessed again. After all, the lady who conveyed the message to me said it was an interview and not an assessment.

He had a high fever just 2 days ago. I've put him on paracetamol and anti-histamine, and used the aero chamber with the Ventolin puff when necessary. He still seemed chirpy on Monday morning which was good because I dont think I would have coped very well with a grouchy sick kid from Monday to today, immediately after 2 weeks of school holiday where I spent 24 hrs with him, plus when I'm sick too.

I'm down with a flu and feel awful. I woke at 4.30am this morning and couldn't fall asleep again. Nervous, no doubt. The bad headaches, stiff neck and shoulder pains are back together with a sore throat and random sharp shooting pains. Think I might head for a massage tomorrow (when he's back to school tomorrow)! But the early start to my day meant I had plenty of time to do my relaxation qi gong.

My son woke early, which meant there was enough time to get both ourselves ready with minimal stress. My husband came along this time which made a huge difference - moral support! I was nervous for sure, but a lot less so compared to his first assessment. I dont think my son felt my nervousness as I was trying very hard to think positive, and prayed, prayed, prayed.

We arrived early. I had a quick browse at the bookshop and spoke to the lady there about the school's shoes, socks, and types of exercise books they used. I was working on the assumption that my son would be accepted (that's being positive huh!) and began planning ahead.

We met the principal and briefly chatted about my son's areas of disability. Then he was whisked away for the assessment with another teacher. He was in safe hands, so we were asked to wait at the canteen.

It was break time and I began planning ahead again...I was surveying what the kids were eating, their type of lunch boxes, how they paid for food, the crowd level at the tables, the crowd level at the counter, whether the amount of time given to eat was sufficient for my son, were the kids supervised, how many teachers were supervising etc. You see, I was imagining how my son would cope in that situation, and what were the areas I'd need to work on to help him.

The school's break time is staggered. From Nursery to Year 12, they were staggered into 4 blocks such that their break times do not overlap. I did a lot of observing and that certainly took my mind off worrying how my son was doing in the assessment.

Finally, they came down to ask us to go back up with them to discuss the results. We talked. They talked. The principal finally said the words I so wanted to hear. He's been accepted! I almost teared up but no tears came.

But it came with a condition that I work closely with the school in helping support my son. No problem! Then we talked even more with the teacher, and finally left about 11.30am. There was so much talking that I dont think I registered half of what they were saying. Thankfully my husband accompanied us.

The past year or so have seen much effort by his therapist and myself on preparing my son for school, or "school readiness" as it's commonly termed.

So, I'm surprised at my own reaction, or lack of. I'm not jumping over the moon. I'm not shouting it from the roof tops. I expected to cry tears of joy but none came. I dont really know what I feel. Relieved, I suppose. It's very strange. Perhaps an anti-climax. Perhaps I'm too tired. I know I wanted to give a big, big, big hug to each of my friends & family who prayed alongside. I did give a big hug to his therapist (had a session in the afternoon).

I know that this is just the beginning of my long journey to help my son. I'm already tired. There's so much more to do. I'm now searching for an oral motor therapist, and a retained reflex inhibitor therapist. If you know of any in the Klang Valley, please do let me know. I can't find any!

Then there's seeing to his self care needs - he still cant cut up his food (they serve set meals, cost of which is inc in the fees), he still cant botton/unbutton, he still cant get in or out of a T-shirt, he still cant put on his socks, he still stuffs his mouth if he likes the food (risk of vomitting), etc.

I've to start him on swimming lessons in order for him to be water safe. I'm really really scared cos they have swimming lessons for Year 1 kids during school hours.

They place a great emphasis on developing his speech. They expect me to be very diligent in doing what his speech therapist asks, and what the school's learning support head asks. They expect progress. I most likely have to find a new speech therapist as his old one, who was very good, decided to homeschool her kids. They are spot on for emphasising progress in speech, but I'm worried how quickly they expect to see that progress. I think the progress in his speech is hampered right now by the lack of oral motor work...and there doesnt seem to be oral motor therapists locally!!! Perhaps I really do need to attend that 5 day oral motor seminar which I posted about. I booked a slot to see the therapist for an asssessment, but havent signed up for the seminar. I'll have to discuss with my husband because he'll have to take leave from work (boss makes it hard to take leave) to care for my son while I'm at the seminar.

But I feel better now that I've written it all down. I can breathe again. Sorry you had to bear with me while I got it all off my chest.

One thing that made this all possible was obviously God - God's grace, God's love, God's provision. Jehovah Jireh! With God, any thing is possible. Thank you to my "group of 7" who prayed and prayed!

Now strangely, I feel like I CAN celebrate! Jehovah Jireh, my Provider, His grace is sufficient for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment